'Nova holds off Hawks in Holy WarDec 4, 2010 - 4:43 AM Villanova, PA (Sports Network) - Corey Stokes paced Villanova with 17 points and eight rebounds, and the 12th-ranked Wildcats edged Big 5 rival Saint Joseph's, 71-60, at the Pavilion.
Antonio Pena contributed 14 points and 14 rebounds, while Dominic Cheek and Corey Fisher also scored 14 points apiece for 'Nova (6-1), which was coming off a loss to Tennessee in the NIT Season-Tip Off finale last Friday.
Carl Jones tallied 19 points for Saint Joseph's (3-4), which has dropped two straight on the heels of a three-game winning streak.
The Hawks shot better from the field than their counterparts (41 percent to 38.5 percent), but made just 2-of-7 free throws compared to the Wildcats' 14-of-19 effort from the stripe.
Stokes and Fisher carried the load during a 10-2 run that turned an early deficit into a 20-13 Villanova lead with 11 1/2 minutes left in the first half.
The Hawks trailed 38-28 at the break, and Daryus Quarles' three-pointer two minutes into the second stanza cut the deficit to 41-33.
The Wildcats stepped on the gas from there, scoring the next 13 points -- the last two coming from Fisher at the foul line for a 21-point lead with 14 1/2 minutes remaining.
St. Joseph's fought back, and Jones got a tough runner to fall to get to within 67-56 with 2:17 remaining.
Stokes answered with an 18-footer at the other end, and there wasn't enough time for the Hawks to stage a comeback.
Villanova leads the all-time series, 44-24, in a rivalry that dates to 1921...Fisher made just 3-of-13 from the field...Mouphtaou Yarou grabbed 12 rebounds for Villanova, which won the battle on the glass, 48-34...Quarles scored 12 points in defeat...Villanova has fellow city rivals Penn and La Salle on tap over the next week-plus, while Saint Joseph's heads to Princeton for a game with the Tigers on Sunday.
- Villanova's buzzer-beater Jenkins to stay for senior season May 3
- Villanova receives $22.6 million gift for arena renovation Apr 20
- National champion Wildcats bask in celebratory perks Apr 12
- Philadelphia cheers NCAA champs Villanova with parade Apr 8
- Classes off, party on: a Philly bash for champion Villanova Apr 6
- Oklahoma and Villanova face the shooting woes of NRG Stadium Apr 2
- 'Nova looks to show growth since 1st game against Oklahoma Mar 31
- Top-seeded Kansas, No. 2 Villanova set for Elite 8 showdown Mar 25
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Saint Joseph's and Cincinnati to play in 1st round of NCAAs Mar 17