Jordan leads No. 19 UCF over MarshallJan 6, 2011 - 4:35 AM Orlando, FL (Sports Network) - Marcus Jordan posted a game-high 26 points to go with six rebounds and five assists as No. 19 UCF upended Marshall, 65-58, at UCF Arena.
Keith Clanton contributed 14 points and eight boards for the Knights (14-0, 1-0 C-USA), who also received 13 points from Isaac Sosa.
Shaquille Johnson poured in 15 points for the Thundering Herd (10-4, 0-1), who lost for just the second time in their last nine. Tirrell Baines added 14 points and eight boards in defeat.
Baines' deuce with 7:34 to play put Marshall ahead 46-42, but it was the last time the visitors were on top.
Clanton's tip-in made it a two-point game and kicked off a deciding 10-0 spurt. Jordan's layup and free throw gave the Knights a one-point edge and Sosa followed with a trey. Clanton added a lay-in to make it 52-46 with 5:04 to go.
A tip-in from Nigel Spikes brought Marshall within 60-55 with 1:29 to play, but despite poor foul shooting down the stretch, the Knights never were in danger of coughing up the lead.
Neither team lead by more than four in a tightly-played first half, and it was deadlocked at 28-all at the break.
Baines' dunk put the Herd ahead 37-33 with 13:55 to play, and a Dago Pena shot from long distance gave the visitors a 40-34 advantage less than a minute later.
However, a 7-2 burst followed that saw UCF climb within 42-41 on two free throws by Jordan.
Despite the loss, Marshall has won six of the 11 all-time meetings...UCF shot 44.2 percent from the floor and held the Herd to 33.9 percent from the field.
- MARSHALL: 58
CENTRAL FLORIDA: 65
Jan 5 9:07 PM
- MARSHALL: 28
CENTRAL FLORIDA: 28
Jan 5 7:49 PM
- MARSHALL: 0
CENTRAL FLORIDA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 5 7:07 PM
- Former UConn star Marshall to coach Central Connecticut Apr 6
- UCF introduces Johnny Dawkins as new men's basketball coach Mar 24
- UCF hires Johnny Dawkins as next men's basketball coach Mar 23
- UCF fires coach Donnie Jones following loss in AAC tourney Mar 11
- UCF's Taylor to miss remainder of season with leg injury Dec 23
- Marshall assistant coach Chris Duhon suspended after arrest Nov 30
- NCAA clears UCF 7-foot-6 recruit Tacko Fall to play Nov 13
- UCF files for academic waiver for 7-6 recruit Tacko Fall Nov 12
- Eligibility of 7-foot-6 UCF recruit in doubt as season nears Nov 10
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Report: Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Newly ranked ODU rolls past Marshall Jan 8