Cincinnati cruises past rival XavierJan 7, 2011 - 3:33 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Yancy Gates finished with a game-high 22 points to go along with 14 rebounds, as 24th-ranked Cincinnati handled Xavier, 66-46, in the annual Crosstown Shootout.
Dion Dixon added 16 points and nine rebounds, and Cashmere Wright contributed 10 points for the Bearcats (15-0), who matched the 1998-99 squad for the second best start in school history.
"It means a lot to get the win especially the way our season is going," Gates said. "Xavier is a real good team, but we aren't overwhelmed by the win just happy."
Jamel McLean led the Musketeers with 18 points and six rebounds. Mark Lyons scored 11 and Kenny Frease added eight points and seven rebounds for Xavier (8-5), which has dropped two straight and three of four.
The Musketeers jumped out to an early 10-4 lead, capped by a McLean tip-in at 13:38. After a Dixon layup started a quick 7-0 spurt for the Bearcats, Gates and McLean traded baskets to keep Xavier up 12-11 at the mid point of the first half.
That was the last time the Musketeers would lead.
Another Gates jumper at 9:33 put the Bearcats on top, and their lead quickly reached 11, 26-15, with another Gates basket with 2 1/2 remaining.
Gates led all scorers with 12 points in the first half, as Cincinnati took a 28-20 lead into the locker room.
Xavier worked its deficit down to five, 35-30, in the opening minutes of the second half. However, a Rashad Bishop three-pointer at 14:39 started a 15-5 Cincinnati run -- capped by a Dixon jumper -- to put the Bearcats up 15 at the mid-point of the second.
Cincinnati cruised from there and its lead never fell below 13 down the stretch.
"We just have to get better," McLean said. "I know we keep saying this but it is true. We just have to keep getting better each day in practice."
This was the 78th meeting between these schools, with the Bearcats holding a 48-30 advantage...Xavier had a three-game winning streak snapped in this rivalry...The Musketeers shot 1-of-10 from beyond the arc...Cincinnati scored 25 points off 15 Xavier turnovers.
- No NBA: Trevon Bluiett staying at Xavier for junior season May 23
- Xavier gives coach Chris Mack an additional year on contract Apr 14
- Cincinnati says Mick Cronin is staying after talks with UNLV Mar 25
- A late dunk, a last-second 3 add to Cincinnati's heartbreak Mar 21
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- Xavier pulls away from Weber State late for 71-53 win Mar 18
- Xavier opens tourney vs Weber St, hoping for deep run Mar 17
- Saint Joseph's and Cincinnati to play in 1st round of NCAAs Mar 17
- No. 5 Xavier looking to fix defense at Big East tournament Mar 7
- No. 5 Xavier in running for high NCAA tournament seed Feb 25
- Big East's top 2 teams set for high-stakes rematch at Xavier Feb 23
- Xavier's Sumner 'walking, talking' after hard fall at game Dec 31