Holloway, Xavier beat FordhamFeb 20, 2011 - 4:01 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Tu Holloway posted a triple-double with 26 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists, as No. 24 Xavier notched a 79-72 victory over Fordham.
Mark Lyons added 16 points and Kenny Frease scored 14 with six boards for the Musketeers (20-6, 11-1 A-10), who have won five straight.
Chris Gaston had 26 points and 15 rebounds, Brenton Butler had 21 points, and Alberto Estwick scored 14 for the Rams (6-18, 0-12), who have lost 38 straight games in the conference.
The Rams kept it close in the second half and a 10-3 surge saw the team go in front on a Butler three-pointer that made it a 54-53 contest with 11 minutes to play.
Lyons, though, gave Xavier the lead back with a layup on the next possession and Holloway scored the next six points to give the team a 61-54 advantage.
Fordham was only able to get within four the rest of the game.
The first half was a back-and-forth affair until a 7-0 run from Xavier allowed the team to build a 37-25 lead on a Dante Jackson three-pointer with 2 1/2 minutes left in the half.
A three-ball from Branden Frazier helped Fordham get its deficit to single digits as the Musketeers took a 39-30 lead into the break.
Xavier shot 50.0 percent while Fordham hit 44.7 percent of its shots...Xavier hosts La Salle on Tuesday...Fordham, which last won a conference game on January 28, 2009 at St. Bonaventure, plays there on Wednesday...Xavier has won nine straight over the Rams and owns a 21-3 mark in the series.
- FORDHAM: 72
Feb 19 10:03 PM
- FORDHAM: 30
Feb 19 8:53 PM
- FORDHAM: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 19 8:08 PM
- No NBA: Trevon Bluiett staying at Xavier for junior season May 23
- Xavier gives coach Chris Mack an additional year on contract Apr 14
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- Xavier pulls away from Weber State late for 71-53 win Mar 18
- Xavier opens tourney vs Weber St, hoping for deep run Mar 17
- No. 5 Xavier looking to fix defense at Big East tournament Mar 7
- No. 5 Xavier in running for high NCAA tournament seed Feb 25
- Big East's top 2 teams set for high-stakes rematch at Xavier Feb 23
- Xavier's Sumner 'walking, talking' after hard fall at game Dec 31
- Balanced Fordham defeats Fairleigh Dickinson 85-62 Nov 21
- Xavier's Chris Mack gets 1-year extension Apr 1
- Fordham hires EKU's Neubauer as coach Mar 30