Xavier escapes Dayton with winFeb 27, 2011 - 9:17 PM
Jamel McLean finished with 11 points and Mark Lyons added 10 for Xavier (22-6, 13-1 A-10), which was coming off a 100-62 drubbing of La Salle on Tuesday and has won seven in a row and 14 of 15 overall.
Chris Johnson hit 4-of-8 from three-point range and finished with a team-best 22 points with nine boards for Dayton (19-10, 7-7), which had a brief two-game winning streak halted and has dropped three of its last five. Paul Williams made 3-of-6 from beyond the arc and ended with 13 points in defeat.
Ahead by a seemingly comfortable 37-25 lead at the half, Holloway's jumper with 11:48 remaining had the Musketeers ahead 46-35 before Dayton started to chip away at the deficit and get back in the game.
Josh Benson finished off a fast break with a dunk to get Dayton within seven with 8:47 left, then his three-point play with just under five minutes to go sliced the deficit to 55-50.
Holloway answered with a pair of free throws a short time later to put the visitors up by seven, but Williams' layup and three-pointer made it a 57-55 game with 3:40 remaining.
A pair of Lyons' free throws a short time later put the Musketeers up by four before a jumper by Juwan Staten and two makes at the line by Johnson tied things at 59-all with 1:48 on the clock.
However, Holloway took over from there, draining a pair of free throws, then a triple for a 64-59 Xavier lead with only 42 seconds left and the Musketeers would not let the game get away from there
McLean's dunk nearly six minutes into the contest, gave Xavier a 18-6 lead.
Jeff Robinson then capped a 10-3 burst with a pair of free throws to up the Musketeers advantage to double-digits, 29-17, with 6:03 before the break.
A Robinson dunk with 35 seconds remaining gave Xavier a 37-25 lead heading into the locker room.
Despite the loss, Dayton is still 82-72 in the all-time series against Xavier, but the Musketeers have won 11 of the last 13 meetings.
- XAVIER: 66
Feb 27 3:07 PM
- XAVIER: 37
Feb 27 1:49 PM
- XAVIER: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 27 1:03 PM
- No NBA: Trevon Bluiett staying at Xavier for junior season May 23
- University of Dayton center Steve McElvene dies May 12
- Xavier gives coach Chris Mack an additional year on contract Apr 14
- Dayton gives coach Archie Miller an extra year on contract Mar 23
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- Xavier pulls away from Weber State late for 71-53 win Mar 18
- Xavier opens tourney vs Weber St, hoping for deep run Mar 17
- Boeheim has Orange back in NCAA Tournament opposite Dayton Mar 17
- No. 5 Xavier looking to fix defense at Big East tournament Mar 7
- No. 5 Xavier in running for high NCAA tournament seed Feb 25
- Big East's top 2 teams set for high-stakes rematch at Xavier Feb 23
- Xavier's Sumner 'walking, talking' after hard fall at game Dec 31