Three-point shooting leads Georgetown past Coastal CarolinaNov 18, 2010 - 9:43 PM Charleston, SC (Sports Network) - Jason Clark scored 22 points and Austin Freeman added 20, leading 20th-ranked Georgetown to an 80-61 victory over Coastal Carolina in the opening game of the Charleston Classic.
Chris Wright contributed 12 points and 12 assists for the Hoyas (3-0), who opened the campaign with wins over Old Dominion and Tulane. Georgetown will next play Wofford on Friday after the Terriers advanced past USC Upstate.
Clark, Freeman and Wright combined to make 13 three-point attempts, as the Hoyas shot a blistering 14-of-30 from beyond the arc. Georgetown also finished with 26 assists on 32 made field goals and held a 35-21 rebounding advantage.
Kierre Greenwood scored 16 to lead Coastal Carolina (2-2), which was coming off its first loss of the season on Tuesday in an 83-67 setback to the College of Charleston on the same floor. The Chanticleers blew a 40-28 halftime lead in that one.
The Hoyas led from the start on Thursday and opened a 17-9 edge 6 1/2 minutes into the contest on a three-pointer by Freeman. Coastal Carolina pulled within four a few minutes later, but Georgetown answered with eight straight and Wright's three-pointer with just over 8 1/2 minutes left in the half gave the Hoyas a 28-16 lead. Coastal Carolina again clawed back and made it a 32-26 game at the break.
Georgetown methodically pulled away early in the second half, as consecutive three-pointers from Clark gave the Hoyas a 51-33 cushion with just over 13 1/2 minutes left in the contest. Clark finished 5-of-7 from long distance.
Coastal followed with the next 11 points, capped by a Chad Gray basket, to make it 51-44, but Freeman and Clark responded with shots from beyond the arc to restore Georgetown's double-digit margin and ignite a 16-4 run. Freeman added yet another shot from three-point range with just under 6 1/2 minutes left to give Georgetown a 67-48 lead.
The Chanticleers never threatened again.
Julian Vaughn scored 11 points and grabbed a game-best seven rebounds for the Hoyas. He also had five blocked shots...Desmond Holloway scored 13 for Coastal Carolina, while Gray netted eight...Georgetown finished with 12 assists on 12 made field goals in the first half...The Hoyas improved to 6-0 all-time against Coastal Carolina.
- COASTAL CAROLINA: 61
Nov 18 1:47 PM
- COASTAL CAROLINA: 26
Nov 18 12:42 PM
- COASTAL CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 18 12:02 PM
- Georgetown already has 5 losses entering Big East play Dec 30
- Georgetown Capsule Nov 4
- With Smith-Rivera back, Georgetown eyes better NCAA showing Nov 4
- Georgetown G Smith-Rivera to enter NBA Draft Mar 31
- Utah tops Georgetown, makes 1st Sweet 16 in 10 years Mar 21
- Utes and Hoyas meet in third round of NCAA Tournament Mar 21
- Wisconsin eases past Coastal Carolina Mar 21
- Chanticleers face tall task in second-round clash with Badgers Mar 20
- Georgetown topples Eastern Washington to advance Mar 20
- Hoyas set sights on Eagles in South Regional action Mar 19
- Xavier holds off Georgetown to reach Big East finals Mar 14
- Xavier and Georgetown do battle in Big East tourney Mar 13