Missouri handles North AlabamaJan 6, 2011 - 5:01 AM Columbia, MO (Sports Network) - Kim English made 6-of-9 three-point tries to end with 20 points, as ninth-ranked Missouri cruised past North Alabama, 98-58, in a game that served as a tune up before the Tigers head into their Big 12 Conference schedule on Saturday against Colorado.
"Another win, another chance to get better and get young guys another chance to get out under the lights before Big 12 play starts," English said. "Every game is valuable for us. Any given night you can get beaten. Whether we're playing the best team in the nation or the worst team in the nation, we've just got to make sure we're doing everything that we can do to make ourselves better."
Missouri (14-1) had seven players in double-digit scoring, including Laurence Bowers' and Justin Safford's 16 point showings. Bowers also hauled in 11 rebounds.
Marcus Denmon had 12 points and six rebounds, while Matt Pressey, Michael Dixon and Ricky Kreklow each posted 10 points for the Tigers, who have won nine straight since their lone loss to Georgetown on November 30.
Beaumont Beasley had 13 points and Ricky Davison had 12 points for the Division II Lions (6-9), who had a two-game win streak halted.
The Tigers scored 16 of the game's first 19 points as Pressey and English each had five points during the run.
Pressey then converted a three-point play and Safford hit to free throws nearing the midway point of the first half to give Missouri a commanding 22-6 lead.
A 22-7 run finished out the last five-plus minutes of the half, which was capped off by English's back-to-back three pointers to give the home team a 57-31 advantage into the break.
Missouri continued to cruise in the second half as its lead reached as high as 43 and never dipped below 24.
Mizzou extended its non-conference home winning streak to 57 straight games...The Tigers' bench totaled 40 points. Conversely, UNA scored just 16 points off the bench... Missouri forced 22 North Alabama turnovers and won the rebound battle 61-33.
- NORTH ALABAMA: 58
Jan 5 9:50 PM
- NORTH ALABAMA: 31
Jan 5 8:51 PM
- NORTH ALABAMA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 5 8:04 PM
- Missouri players Isabell, Wright decide to transfer Mar 15
- Anderson gets vote of confidence from athletic director Mar 9
- Missouri says F D'Angelo Allen plans to transfer Feb 29
- Missouri dismisses junior guard Wes Clark Feb 16
- Missouri's suspended players Gant, Woods in doubt vs Vandy Feb 9
- Banned Missouri booster says he meant no harm Jan 19
- Missouri admits NCAA hoops violations, vacates '13-14 season Jan 14
- Missouri at a glance Oct 29
- Missouri adds new faces, still picked to finish last in SEC Oct 29
- Turnovers cost Missouri in loss to Arkansas Feb 18
- No. 18 Arkansas plays host to Missouri Feb 18
- Kentucky tops Missouri Jan 30