Freeman helps Hoyas down UNC-AshevilleNov 28, 2010 - 7:14 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Austin Freeman scored 32 points to help 16th-ranked Georgetown beat UNC-Asheville, 87-72, at the Verizon Center.
Freeman made seven of his nine three-point attempts, tying a school record, and finished 11-of-15 from the floor overall.
"I just wanted to be aggressive, come out and take good shots and don't force anything," Freeman said. "I hit a couple and my teammates found me. The way we are as a team is when someone's hot you find him."
Julian Vaughn had 16 points and nine rebounds for Georgetown (6-0), the winners of the Charleston Classic title. Hollis Thompson posted a double- double with 11 points and 10 boards in the victory.
J.P. Primm finished with 17 points to pace the Bulldogs (2-3), who were facing their second straight ranked opponent. UNC-Asheville lost to North Carolina on Tuesday.
The Hoyas held the Bulldogs scoreless over eight minutes to build a comfortable lead.
After Primm's layup tied the game at 7-7, UNC-Asheville didn't score again until Matt Dickey nailed a shot from beyond the arc with 8:24 remaining in the opening half. The Bulldogs missed 11 straight field-goal attempts over that span.
Georgetown, meanwhile, ripped off 23 consecutive points during the Bulldogs' lengthy dry spell to go up 30-7.
The Hoyas led 44-27 at the break and UNC-Asheville made a run to pull within 12 at 73-61 with under five minutes left, but Thompson knocked down a trey which was followed by baskets from Vaughn and Freeman.
Chris Wright dished out nine assists for Georgetown...Dickey had 15 points and seven rebounds...The Hoyas connected on 13-of-25 three-pointers...Saturday's game marked the first-ever meeting between these two programs.
- UNC-ASHEVILLE: 72
Nov 27 2:00 PM
- UNC-ASHEVILLE: 27
Nov 27 12:56 PM
- UNC-ASHEVILLE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 27 12:08 PM
- Georgetown already has 5 losses entering Big East play Dec 30
- Georgetown Capsule Nov 4
- With Smith-Rivera back, Georgetown eyes better NCAA showing Nov 4
- Georgetown G Smith-Rivera to enter NBA Draft Mar 31
- Utah tops Georgetown, makes 1st Sweet 16 in 10 years Mar 21
- Utes and Hoyas meet in third round of NCAA Tournament Mar 21
- Georgetown topples Eastern Washington to advance Mar 20
- Hoyas set sights on Eagles in South Regional action Mar 19
- Xavier holds off Georgetown to reach Big East finals Mar 14
- Xavier and Georgetown do battle in Big East tourney Mar 13
- Georgetown fends off Creighton in Big East quarters Mar 13
- Big East tourney action pits Bluejays against Hoyas Mar 12