No. 8 Villanova beats Monmouth by 40Dec 23, 2010 - 3:02 AM West Long Branch, NJ (Sports Network) - Corey Fisher scored a game-high 20 points to go along with five assists and five rebounds as the No. 8 Villanova Wildcats topped the Monmouth Hawks 76-36.
Corey Stokes added 19 points, including five three-pointers, and Mouphtaou Yarou scored 14 for the Wildcats (10-1), who have won five straight and will next face Big 5 rival Temple on December 30.
Maalik Wayns had 11 points and six assists for the victors.
Phil Wait led Monmouth with eight points and Jordan Davis scored seven for the Hawks (4-8), who have lost four of five.
The Wildcats jumped out to an early lead and never looked back.
Monmouth's R.J. Rutledge made the first of two foul shots to tie the game at 5-5 with 16:08 remaining in the first half, but Fisher's jumper on the other end started a 19-2 run for Villanova that put the game away for good.
Stokes followed Fisher's jumper with a layup in the lane, and Fisher added two more jump shots -- surrounding a Davis layup -- to put Villanova up 13-7.
The Wildcats scored a total of 13 unanswered points and the Hawks went 0-for-6 from the field to widen Villanova's lead to 24-7 with 8:32 left in the half.
Fisher and Stokes scored 13 and 11 points, respectively, for Villanova in the first half, en route to a 44-17 lead at the break.
Monmouth would never threaten down the stretch.
Villanova shot 50 percent from the field, while Monmouth shot just 25.5 percent...The Wildcats converted 13 turnovers into 23 points...The Hawks shot 1-for-19 from beyond the arc.
- VILLANOVA: 76
Dec 22 8:44 PM
- VILLANOVA: 44
Dec 22 7:47 PM
- VILLANOVA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 22 7:07 PM
- Villanova's buzzer-beater Jenkins to stay for senior season May 3
- Villanova receives $22.6 million gift for arena renovation Apr 20
- National champion Wildcats bask in celebratory perks Apr 12
- Philadelphia cheers NCAA champs Villanova with parade Apr 8
- Classes off, party on: a Philly bash for champion Villanova Apr 6
- Oklahoma and Villanova face the shooting woes of NRG Stadium Apr 2
- 'Nova looks to show growth since 1st game against Oklahoma Mar 31
- Top-seeded Kansas, No. 2 Villanova set for Elite 8 showdown Mar 25
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19
- Villanova trying to put early NCAA losses in past Mar 17
- Villanova finds March failures trump Big East title triumphs Mar 14