Freeman paces Hoyas over TulaneNov 16, 2010 - 9:20 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Austin Freeman led all scorers with 23 points and Jason Clark added 17 points and 11 rebounds, as 20th-ranked Georgetown defeated Tulane, 69-53, at the Verizon Center.
Freeman hit 4-of-6 shots from three-point range, while Vee Sanford contributed 10 points off the bench for Georgetown (2-0), which opened the season with a narrow 62-59 victory at Old Dominion on Friday.
Kris Richard had a team-high 22 points and nine boards for Tulane (1-1), which began the 2010-11 campaign with a 91-62 win over Maryland-Eastern Shore on Friday. Jordan Callahan added nine points and six assists in defeat.
Georgetown used a 14-1 run to grab a commanding 20-point lead in the early going. Chris Wright got things going with a jumper and the Hoyas then found the mark from long distance. Clark buried a three-pointer, Hollis Thompson followed with a pair of triples before Freeman's trey put Georgetown up 29-9 with nearly 7 1/2 minutes to play in the half.
Freeman then made a jumper to put an end to a 7-0 Tulane burst to give GU a 34-19 edge with 2:47 left and the Hoyas would take a 34-22 lead into the intermission.
Tulane could only get as close as nine in the second half, before Georgetown quickly restored its double-digit lead and coasted the rest of the way.
"I think it was a good team effort on the boards," said Clark, whose grandmother passed away earlier Monday. "They shot a lot of threes, so there were a lot of balls that we had to run down. They weren't just around the basket where the big men would get them."
Georgetown beat Tulane in last season's opener by a 74-58 final in the first- ever meeting between the two teams...Thompson finished with eight points, while Wright chipped in with seven points and eight assists.
- TULANE: 53
Nov 15 8:47 PM
- TULANE: 22
End of Regulation
Nov 15 7:44 PM
- TULANE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 15 7:14 PM
- Tulane's Dunleavy explains decision to try college now Mar 29
- Ex-NBA coach Dunleavy Sr. takes first college job at Tulane Mar 28
- Tulane AD: Ed Conroy out as Tulane men's basketball coach Mar 14
- Georgetown already has 5 losses entering Big East play Dec 30
- Georgetown Capsule Nov 4
- With Smith-Rivera back, Georgetown eyes better NCAA showing Nov 4
- Georgetown G Smith-Rivera to enter NBA Draft Mar 31
- Utah tops Georgetown, makes 1st Sweet 16 in 10 years Mar 21
- Utes and Hoyas meet in third round of NCAA Tournament Mar 21
- Georgetown topples Eastern Washington to advance Mar 20
- Hoyas set sights on Eagles in South Regional action Mar 19
- Xavier holds off Georgetown to reach Big East finals Mar 14