No. 6 Villanova routs overmatched LafayetteNov 21, 2010 - 2:32 AM Villanova, PA (Sports Network) - Corey Stokes scored a game-high 19 points, as sixth-ranked Villanova cruised past Lafayette, 86-41, at The Pavilion.
Stokes shot 5-of-10 from beyond the arc for the Wildcats (4-0), who got 16 points and six rebounds from Corey Fisher in the lopsided win. Mouphtaou Yarou and Antonio Pena both finished with 12 points.
Jared Mintz tallied 12 points to pace the Leopards (1-3).
Stokes drained consecutive three-pointers to cap a 10-0 surge and give Villanova a 19-6 lead. The Wildcats led 31-10 before Lafayette scored 10 straight points.
Villanova closed out the half on a 7-0 run, and the Wildcats' lead reached 30 on a Maurice Sutton dunk with just under 12 minutes remaining.
Yarou pulled down 12 rebounds...Sutton scored 11 points, while Maalik Wayns totaled 10 points and six assists...Villanova has won six of its seven all- time meetings with Lafayette.
- LAFAYETTE: 41
Nov 20 8:51 PM
- LAFAYETTE: 20
Nov 20 7:54 PM
- LAFAYETTE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 20 7:05 PM
- Villanova's buzzer-beater Jenkins to stay for senior season May 3
- Villanova receives $22.6 million gift for arena renovation Apr 20
- National champion Wildcats bask in celebratory perks Apr 12
- Philadelphia cheers NCAA champs Villanova with parade Apr 8
- Classes off, party on: a Philly bash for champion Villanova Apr 6
- Oklahoma and Villanova face the shooting woes of NRG Stadium Apr 2
- 'Nova looks to show growth since 1st game against Oklahoma Mar 31
- Top-seeded Kansas, No. 2 Villanova set for Elite 8 showdown Mar 25
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19
- Villanova trying to put early NCAA losses in past Mar 17
- Villanova finds March failures trump Big East title triumphs Mar 14