Walker leads UConn to another victoryDec 9, 2010 - 4:16 AM Storrs, CT (Sports Network) - Kemba Walker, the nation's leading scorer, scored 21 points, as the sixth-ranked Connecticut Huskies dominated the Fairleigh Dickinson Knights, 78-54, at Gampel Pavilion.
Walker came into Wednesday's contest averaging 29.1 points per game thanks to his 24 points, 13 rebounds and 10 assists against UMBC last Friday.
"It was a good win. I thought we gave a good effort," Walker said. "It was a solid team win. A lot of guys got involved today. It was a good overall win for us."
Jeremy Lamb tallied 12 points and five rebounds for the Huskies (8-0), who got 10 points apiece from Shabazz Napier and Roscoe Smith.
Kamil Svrdlik donated 21 points and six rebounds to pace the Knights (3-4), who had a three-game winning streak snapped. Mike Scott had 14 points, five rebounds and five assists in defeat.
Holding a 10-8 lead with 12:33 left in the first half, the Huskies put together an impressive 23-5 run to create some distance. Walker tallied nine points during the burst, which Niels Giffey capped with a jumper to make it 33-13 with 5:34 remaining.
The last points in the half came on Scott's layup with 2:03 left, cutting the deficit to 35-21.
Fairleigh Dickinson never got closer than 13 in the second half.
The only previous meeting between these two programs occurred on March 12, 1998 during the first round of the NCAA Tournament as UConn defeated the Knights by a final of 93-85 at the MCI Center in Washington D.C...The Knights fell to 5-46 all-time versus current Big East Conference members...Walker has had 30 points or more in four contests this season...The last time the Knights won four straight contests was during a stretch from mid-January to mid- February during the 2005-06 season that saw them win 11 consecutive games...Smith also pulled down 10 rebounds...Connecticut made 10-of-32 shots from beyond the arc, while Fairleigh Dickinson went 3-of-12 from three-point range.
- UConn adds New York guard to 2016-17 recruiting class May 18
- UConn to spend $10 million for new roof at Gampel Pavilion Mar 30
- Ellis, Kansas take another swing at unfriendly 2nd round Mar 18
- Ollie and 0: UConn's coach is 7 for 7 in NCAA Tourney games Mar 18
- Purvis spurs UConn comeback for 74-67 win over Colorado Mar 17
- Can UConn start another title run with an afterthought seed? Mar 16
- Fla. Gulf Coast, Fairleigh Dickinson face off in First Four Mar 15
- Coach Herenda has Fairleigh Dickinson back in NCAA Tourney Mar 12
- UConn basketball APR not perfect, but well within guidelines Feb 18
- Pryor leads Robert Morris over Fairleigh Dickinson 72-70 Feb 13
- No. 23 UConn falls to Temple 55-53 on Brown's jumper Jan 5
- UConn C Amida Brimah out with broken finger Dec 22