Brown leads No. 8 Pitt to easy winDec 19, 2010 - 5:02 AM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - Gilbert Brown scored a career-high 28 points on 11-of-13 shooting to help eighth-ranked Pittsburgh coast to a 97-64 victory over Maryland-Eastern Shore.
Ashton Gibbs finished with 15 points and seven assists for the Panthers (11-1), who had been idle since losing to nationally-ranked Tennessee last Saturday at the Consol Energy Center.
Gary McGhee recorded a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds in the win.
"It was a good win for us, and a good night with our offense," Pitt coach Jamie Dixon said. "I've been happy with our progression as the year has gone on, with our ball movement and execution; we showed that with getting the 33 assists tonight. That speaks volumes. I'm happy with our unselfishness, and with how we shot the ball."
Hillary Haley led the Hawks (2-8) with 17 points, while Dishawn Bradshaw chipped in 12 points and five assists in the losing effort.
"Pitt was just too much for us," Maryland-Eastern Shore coach Frankie Allen said. "You can look at the stats and see we were really out-classed. Pitt is going to go a long way as the year progresses. It was a good experience for us."
Pitt scored nine of the game's first 11 points, but Louis Bell drained a three-pointer to trim the Hawks' deficit to 15-13. The Panthers gained a little separation with the next seven points.
It was still a four-point game at 24-20 with about 7 1/2 minutes left in the half after Haley knocked down a trey, but a Talib Zanna layup ignited a 23-7 run that increased Pitt's advantage to 47-27.
Maryland-Eastern Shore scored the final five points of the frame and Bradshaw hit a shot from beyond the arc to begin the second half to bring the Hawks within 12.
The Panthers, though, took control of the contest as their lead swelled to 74-44 on a Travon Woodall jumper.
Pitt has won 55 straight home games against non-conference opponents...Woodall contributed 11 points and nine assists...The Panthers outrebounded the Hawks, 53-26.
- MARYLAND-EASTERN SHORE: 64
Dec 18 8:50 PM
- MARYLAND-EASTERN SHORE: 32
Dec 18 7:47 PM
- MARYLAND-EASTERN SHORE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 18 7:04 PM
- Stallings ready for new challenge at Pittsburgh Mar 28
- Pittsburgh hires Kevin Stallings to replace Jamie Dixon Mar 28
- Dixon's departure leaves Panthers at crossroads Mar 22
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17
- Pitt hoping to play itself off the bubble at ACC tourney Mar 7
- Pitt senior guard Robinson hoping to end career on high note Feb 27
- Struggling Pittsburgh searching for consistency Feb 19
- Young, Jeter lead Pitt past St. Joseph's (Ind), 84-43 Nov 17
- Buffalo rolls over Div. III Pitt-Bradford 109-49 Nov 14
- Pitt faces stiff test in opener against No. 9 Gonzaga Nov 12
- Pittsburgh Preview Capsule Oct 26
- Pitt Panthers looking to get back to basics Oct 26