Thomas, No. 11 SDSU cruise to another winDec 19, 2010 - 6:37 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Malcolm Thomas scored a game-high 18 points and the No. 11 San Diego State Aztecs topped the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos 90-64 at Viejas Arena.
Kawhi Leonard added 13 points and both D.J. Gay and Chase Tapley scored 12 for the Aztecs (12-0), who are off to the best start in school history.
James Nunnally and Orlando Johnson both had 15 points for the Gauchos (5-4), who have lost six straight in the series.
San Diego State wasted no time getting an early lead as Gay's three-pointer at the 9:19 mark gave the Aztecs a 26-15 lead.
With SDSU's lead at 12, 40-28, Thomas' layup with 4 1/2 remaining started a 17-1 for San Diego State that was capped with a Tapley triple with four seconds remaining in the half.
"That first half was a little more to our liking," SDSU head coach Steve Fisher said. "I told our team at halftime that even I could get caught up in the moment, but I do think that in my 11-plus years here that was probably the best half we have played at both ends of the floor--against a good team."
Thomas led the first half charge with 13 points and Gay went 4-for-7 from beyond the arc. Billy White scored 10 of his 11 points in the first half and the Aztecs took a 57-29 lead into the intermission.
San Diego State's lead never fell below 21 down the stretch.
"What was Denny Green's great quote in football? `They are who we thought they were?' Well [SDSU) is a really good team," stated UC Santa Barbara head coach Bob Williams. "They're talented, they're well coached, they play together, they're unselfish, they have an inside and outside weapons, they defend, and they rebound. I don't see something they don't do. They have all of the different pieces."
San Diego State leads the all-time series 56-34, and won last seasons meeting 69-61...Brian Carlwell finished with 11 points for the victors...The Gauchos made 9-of-10 from the line, 14-of-17 for the Aztecs.
- UC SANTA BARBARA: 64
SAN DIEGO STATE: 90
Dec 18 11:51 PM
- UC SANTA BARBARA: 29
SAN DIEGO STATE: 57
Dec 18 10:49 PM
- UC SANTA BARBARA: 0
SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 18 10:05 PM
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Blue Devils battle Aztecs in South Regional action Mar 22
- San Diego State holds off St. John's to advance Mar 21
- Red Storm tangle with Aztecs in South Region Mar 20