UConn squeezes past USF in OTJan 1, 2011 - 2:16 AM Hartford, CT (Sports Network) - Kemba Walker scored 24 points and grabbed eight rebounds to help fourth-ranked Connecticut beat South Florida, 66-61, in overtime at the XL Center.
Alex Oriakhi was the only other Connecticut player to reach double-digits in scoring, adding 15 points.
The Huskies (11-1, 1-1 Big East) were coming off Monday's loss at No. 6 Pittsburgh.
Augustus Gilchrist had 21 points and eight rebounds for the Bulls (6-9, 0-2), who have dropped four straight.
UConn trailed by as many as nine in the second half before scoring six straight points to stay close. USF continued to lead until the final minutes, and Walker's jumper gave the Huskies a 58-55 lead with 1:04 remaining. However, South Florida's Anthony Crater nailed a three-pointer with 28 seconds left in regulation to force overtime.
The Huskies grabbed the lead for good on Jamal Coombs-McDaniel's layup about 90 seconds into the extra frame. Walker hit a jumper to make it 62-58 before Coombs-McDaniel and Roscoe Smith both sank a pair of free throws.
South Florida made just one of its six shots in overtime, a three-pointer by Crater in the dying moments.
The teams were even at 28 after the opening 20 minutes.
The Huskies have won eight of the nine all-time meetings in this series...UConn shot just 37.5 percent from the field, but made 22-of-26 free throws...Crater finished with 14 points.
- SOUTH FLORIDA: 61
Final - OT
Dec 31 8:16 PM
- SOUTH FLORIDA: 58
End of Regulation
Dec 31 8:02 PM
- SOUTH FLORIDA: 28
Dec 31 6:49 PM
- SOUTH FLORIDA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 31 6:03 PM
- UConn adds New York guard to 2016-17 recruiting class May 18
- UConn to spend $10 million for new roof at Gampel Pavilion Mar 30
- Ellis, Kansas take another swing at unfriendly 2nd round Mar 18
- Ollie and 0: UConn's coach is 7 for 7 in NCAA Tourney games Mar 18
- Purvis spurs UConn comeback for 74-67 win over Colorado Mar 17
- Can UConn start another title run with an afterthought seed? Mar 16
- UConn basketball APR not perfect, but well within guidelines Feb 18
- No. 23 UConn falls to Temple 55-53 on Brown's jumper Jan 5
- UConn C Amida Brimah out with broken finger Dec 22
- Calipari, No. 1 Kentucky to meet former assistant Antigua Nov 26
- Basketball graduation rate at UConn at 20 percent, improving Nov 4
- UConn preview capsule Oct 27