Joseph, Syracuse defeats Notre DameJan 2, 2011 - 12:28 AM Syracuse, NY (Sports Network) - Kris Joseph ended with 18 points and eight rebounds and sparked Syracuse's game-altering run in the second half, as the fifth-ranked Orange got by No. 15 Notre Dame, 70-58, in a Big East battle.
Scoop Jardine provided 15 points and nine assists for Syracuse, which moved to 15-0 for the third time under head coach Jim Boeheim. Rick Jackson and James Southerland each netted 12 points in the win, the Orange's second in conference play.
Tim Abromaitis posted 15 points to pace the Fighting Irish (12-2, 1-1), who were coming off a win over No. 9 Georgetown on Wednesday.
"They were a great team. Everyone saw them take down Georgetown the other day," Syracuse freshman guard Dion Waiters said. "We knew they were going to come in with momentum. Our job was to go out there and attack. That's what we were able to do. During the second half, we went on that big run. The key was a lot of big stops we came up with."
The senior-laden Irish were in their first true road test of the season and hung tough for the first 27 minutes. In the final 13, Syracuse poured it on.
A Joseph jumper broke a tie game and ignited a 9-0 run that was capped by Waiters' three-point play that put the hosts on top, 53-44.
Abromaitis' three-pointer briefly halted the stretch, but Syracuse scored the next 10 points in take complete control. Southerland and Jardine each hit from long distance during the spurt, and Joseph's bucket made it a 63-47 game with just under seven minutes remaining.
Eric Atkins pulled Notre Dame within 63-54 two minutes later, but Jackson had a pair of buckets on consecutive possessions to restore the double-digit cushion.
The biggest lead for either team in a closely-played first half was six, and Joseph's bucket in the final minute allowed the Orange to take a 34-33 edge into the locker room.
Syracuse has won the last three meetings, improving to 24-18 against the Irish...Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey is 5-12 all-time against Syracuse...Notre Dame was trying for back-to-back wins over top-10 foes for the first time since the 2002-03 season...Notre Dame's last road win versus a top-five club came against No. 2 Connecticut on January 5, 2000...Syracuse shot 49 percent from the field, compared to Notre Dame's 43 percent effort...Ben Hansbrough posted 12 points and five assists, while Scott Martin chipped in 10 points, seven rebounds and six helpers in defeat.
- NOTRE DAME: 58
Jan 1 5:26 PM
- NOTRE DAME: 33
Jan 1 4:22 PM
- NOTRE DAME: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 1 3:40 PM
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Beachem says he'll be back at Notre Dame for senior season May 1
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Notre Dame's Beachem enters NBA draft, won't hire an agent Apr 12
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Jackson: Meeting with Brey, NCAA play led him to opt for NBA Mar 30
- Notre Dame's Jackson decides to enter NBA draft Mar 29