Woodall helps No. 5 Pitt outlast ProvidenceJan 5, 2011 - 3:47 AM Providence, RI (Sports Network) - Travon Woodall hit a three-pointer with 35 seconds remaining and No. 5 Pittsburgh outlasted Providence, 83-79, in Big East action at Dunkin' Donuts Center.
Gilbert Brown scored a team-high 19 points and Gary McGee went for 13 points and nine rebounds for Pittsburgh (14-1, 2-0 Big East), which has won four straight since dropping an 83-76 decision to Tennessee on December 11.
Marshon Brooks led all scorers with 28 points for Providence (11-5, 0-3), which has lost three in a row. Vincent Council added 13 points and 10 assists in defeat.
Nasir Robinson's layup at the midway point of the second half had the Panthers in front by a seemingly comfortable double-digit margin at 60-50, but the Friars came back to make it three-point game after a Duke Mondy three with 5:47 left and it stayed tight down the stretch.
Trailing by four Mondy's three-pointer, Kadeem Batts' layin and a trey from Brooks put Providence ahead 76-72 with 90 seconds on the clock.
However, McGee's layup followed by a Friars' turnover set the stage for Woodall, who buried the long-range shot to lift the visitors to a 77-76 advantage with 35 seconds left. McGee buried two from the line with 18 ticks remaining for a three-point Panthers lead that they held on to in the closing seconds.
Pittsburgh jumped out to 15-6 start early in the contest, but Providence answered with 11 straight points to go in front by two just past the midway point.
Ashton Gibbs hit a pair of three-pointers as part of an 11-4 run a short time later to put the Panthers up 26-21 with 5:08 before the half and they would be ahead 38-31 going into the locker room at the break.
The Panthers improved to 29-17 in the all-time series against Providence...Pittsburgh shot 52.9 percent from the field, including 10-of-19 from three-point range, while Providence made 44.6 percent of its shots and 8 of-24 from beyond the arc.
- PITTSBURGH: 83
Jan 4 9:12 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 38
Jan 4 7:49 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 4 7:05 PM
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Stallings ready for new challenge at Pittsburgh Mar 28
- Pittsburgh hires Kevin Stallings to replace Jamie Dixon Mar 28
- Providence's Bentil declares for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 23
- Dixon's departure leaves Panthers at crossroads Mar 22
- Friars relying on Dunn-Bentil duo vs. top-seeded Tar Heels Mar 18
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- Pitt hoping to play itself off the bubble at ACC tourney Mar 7
- Pitt senior guard Robinson hoping to end career on high note Feb 27
- Struggling Pittsburgh searching for consistency Feb 19
- Providence adjusting from latest bite from injury bug Feb 4