No. 4 Syracuse remains undefeated, tops Seton HallJan 8, 2011 - 7:53 PM Newark, NJ (Sports Network) - Kris Joseph and Brandon Triche both scored 15 points, helping fourth-ranked Syracuse hold on for a 61-56 victory over Seton Hall and remain undefeated.
Rick Jackson added 14 rebounds and nine points while Scoop Jardine scored 12 for the Orange (16-0, 3-0 Big East), who nearly blew a double-digit lead and made only 17-of-36 foul shots.
Still, Syracuse is off to the second-best start in school history. The 1999-2000 squad won its first 19 games before losing to Seton Hall.
Jeff Robinson had 17 points and 14 boards for Seton Hall (7-9, 1-3), while Herb Pope grabbed 20 rebounds to go with 14 points in the Pirates' third consecutive loss.
Syracuse held a 20-19 edge after a close first half, then seemingly took control shortly into the second. Triche's three-pointer with 13 1/2 minutes to play ended a 10-2 run and gave the Orange a 38-28 lead.
Syracuse expanded its lead to 54-40 on Jackson's tip-in with just under six minutes left, but Seton Hall began its comeback there. The Pirates poured in 11 consecutive points over the next three minutes, and Pope's jumper had the hosts within 54-51.
After Joseph sank 1-of-2 from the line, Jordan Theodore made both of his foul shots to bring the Pirates within two.
However, Jardine made it a two-possession game with a layup at the other end, though he missed his free throw. Jardine had another key layup inside the final minute, making it a 60-55 contest. While Syracuse continued to be shaky from the line, Seton Hall didn't make the big shots it needed to completely overcome the deficit.
Syracuse has won its last five games against Seton Hall, and holds a 45-15 advantage overall...Fuquan Edwin added 12 points for the Pirates.
- SYRACUSE: 61
SETON HALL: 56
Jan 8 2:07 PM
- SYRACUSE: 20
SETON HALL: 19
Jan 8 12:51 PM
- SYRACUSE: 0
SETON HALL: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 8 12:05 PM
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Judge tosses suit by ex-Syracuse coach's wife against ESPN Mar 26
- Gonzaga taking on Syracuse's vaunted zone in Sweet 16 Mar 25