No. 4 Syracuse gets past St. John's in NYCJan 13, 2011 - 6:47 AM New York, NY (Sports Network) - Kris Joseph made 8-of-11 shots en route to 18 points, and fourth-ranked Syracuse remained among the ranks of the unbeaten with a 76-59 triumph over St. John's at Madison Square Garden.
Brandon Triche had 15 points and four assists for the Orange (17-0, 4-0 Big East), who notched the 1,800th win in program history.
Rick Jackson posted a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds for Syracuse, which converted 9-of-20 shots from three-point range. Jackson surpassed the 1,000 point mark in his career.
Justin Brownlee scored 13 points to pace the Red Storm (10-5, 3-2), who have dropped two straight.
It took a while for the teams to find their scoring touch, with both squads making just one shot through the opening five minutes.
Brownlee converted a layup to give St. John's a 17-9 lead with a little less than 8 1/2 minutes left. Syracuse responded with a 16-1 surge before Dwight Hardy hit consecutive threes to draw the Red Storm within one at 25-24.
James Southerland then knocked down a trey ignite Syracuse's 10-0 run to end the first half.
Following the break, the Orange extended their advantage to 50-33 on a Joseph dunk. Syracuse's lead hovered around 20 points for the remainder of the contest.
"I told our guys after the game that we did some things in stretches and spurts, particularly in the first half, that were impressive, but you have to sustain it if you're going to beat the No. 4 team in the country like Syracuse," said St. John's head coach Steve Lavin.
Syracuse has won the last five meetings...Jackson also had three assists, three steals and two blocks...Scoop Jardine had 14 points and six assists for the Orange, who shot 57.4 percent from the floor...Hardy logged 12 points.
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Judge tosses suit by ex-Syracuse coach's wife against ESPN Mar 26
- Gonzaga taking on Syracuse's vaunted zone in Sweet 16 Mar 25