Walker leads UConn over sad-sack DePaulJan 15, 2011 - 10:20 PM Rosemont, IL (Sports Network) - Kemba Walker eclipsed the 30-point plateau for the sixth time this season and 10th-ranked Connecticut cruised past Big East bottom-dwelling DePaul, 82-62.
Walker went 10-of-17 from the field and 9-for-10 from the foul line to pace the Huskies (14-2, 3-2 Big East), who shot 51 percent from the floor en route to a third straight win.
Jeremy Lamb chipped in 13 points and Alex Oriakhi had 11 in the rout.
Cleveland Melvin was the only offensive threat for the Blue Demons (6-11, 0-5), finishing with 25 points and 12 rebounds.
DePaul has lost a season-high five straight games and 18 in a row in Big East play, which includes a first-round exit in last year's conference tourney.
Connecticut scored 10 of the game's first 12 points and led 21-10 following Jamal Coombs-McDaniel's fastbreak layup with a little over 12 minutes left in the opening half.
A Tony Freeland bucket cut the deficit to 33-25, but Walker's dunk and Lamb's alley-oop slam while being fouled rebuilt the double-digit margin with 3:50 remaining.
Walker put in a layup just before the halftime buzzer for a 45-34 advantage, and the Huskies pulled away with a 16-1 run in the second stanza.
Oriakhi converted a three-point play 4 1/2 minutes in to open the flurry, and Coombs-McDaniel's three-point play ended it for a 66-41 cushion with 10 minutes left.
Oriakhi's dunk made it a 32-point blowout, 78-46, with 6 1/2 minutes showing.
Connecticut has won the last four meetings with DePaul to take a 5-1 series advantage...Roscoe Smith had eight points and seven rebounds for the Huskies, who also shot a robust 21-of-25 from the foul line...DePaul shot 32 percent from the field...Connecticut is back in action at home on Monday afternoon against Villanova, while DePaul hopes to end its long conference streak at Marquette on Tuesday.
- CONNECTICUT: 82
Jan 15 3:53 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 45
Jan 15 2:54 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 15 2:04 PM
- UConn adds New York guard to 2016-17 recruiting class May 18
- UConn to spend $10 million for new roof at Gampel Pavilion Mar 30
- Ellis, Kansas take another swing at unfriendly 2nd round Mar 18
- Ollie and 0: UConn's coach is 7 for 7 in NCAA Tourney games Mar 18
- Purvis spurs UConn comeback for 74-67 win over Colorado Mar 17
- Can UConn start another title run with an afterthought seed? Mar 16
- UConn basketball APR not perfect, but well within guidelines Feb 18
- No. 23 UConn falls to Temple 55-53 on Brown's jumper Jan 5
- UConn C Amida Brimah out with broken finger Dec 22
- Podkowa helps No. 18 DePaul women top No. 15 Texas A&M 80-66 Dec 12
- Basketball graduation rate at UConn at 20 percent, improving Nov 4
- UConn preview capsule Oct 27