Providence upsets No. 19 LouisvilleJan 23, 2011 - 1:09 AM Providence, RI (Sports Network) - Marshon Brooks scored 27 points, Gerard Coleman had 19 and Providence upset No. 19 Louisville, 72-67, for its first Big East win of the season.
Vincent Council added 12 points for the Friars (12-8, 1-6 Big East), who snapped a 17-game conference losing streak dating back almost a year.
Chris Smith had 19 points and Stephan Van Treese scored 10 as the Cardinals (15-4, 4-2) had their two-game winning streak snapped.
Providence took the lead for good with 3:25 remaining in the game when Brooks hit a three-pointer to make it 64-61.
The Friars held on by playing smothering defense down the stretch and forcing Louisville to take bad shots, earning their first Big East victory since beating Connecticut on January 27, 2010.
Providence also snapped a nine-game losing streak to Louisville.
The Cardinals shot 53 percent in the first half and held a 43-39 lead at intermission, but they were only 8-for-24 from the field in the second half, especially losing their touch near the end.
Preston Knowles, the team's leading scorer, was among the Louisville players who couldn't buy a three-pointer after Brooks buried his shot from the top of the arc to give Providence the lead.
Knowles finished 1-for-8 from the field, missing all four of his three-point attempts and scoring just two points.
Peyton Siva scored off an inbounds pass to get the Cardinals within 64-63, but they would never be that close again.
Council hit back-to-back shots in the lane to give Providence a 68-63 lead with 39.3 seconds left. Louisville's remaining four points came on a conceded dunk by Gorgui Dieng and Tim Henderson's afterthought layup at the buzzer.
Providence shot 46 percent for the game, including 48 percent in the second half...The Friars were 8-for-20 from three-point range, led by Brooks' 4-of-7 performance...Louisville still leads the all-time series 10-5.
- LOUISVILLE: 67
Jan 22 7:15 PM
- LOUISVILLE: 43
Jan 22 5:58 PM
- LOUISVILLE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 22 5:11 PM
- Louisville sophomore Onuaku to undergo heart procedure May 17
- Louisville students' lawsuit against escort is dismissed May 3
- Louisville announces more sanctions for men's basketball Apr 6
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Providence's Bentil declares for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 23
- Friars relying on Dunn-Bentil duo vs. top-seeded Tar Heels Mar 18
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- Pitino elevates Johnson to Louisville associate head coach Mar 15
- Cardinals' Pitino says he saw nothing 'unusual' at dormitory Mar 15
- Pitino: Will use offseason to decide future with Louisville Mar 1
- Transfers Lewis, Lee relish time spent at No. 11 Louisville Feb 29
- Louisville's Mahmoud out for final 6 games with ankle injury Feb 15