Mitchell helps West Virginia down South FloridaJan 24, 2011 - 2:45 AM Morgantown, WV (Sports Network) - Casey Mitchell led a balanced attack with 13 points and 14 rebounds, as No. 21 West Virginia defeated South Florida, 56-46, in Big East action.
John Flowers and Kevin Jones each chipped in 13 points for West Virginia (13-5, 4-2 Big East), which recovered from a 75-71 setback to Marshall on Wednesday and has won five of six overall.
Deniz Kilicli finished with eight points and eight boards in the victory.
Augustus Gilchrist led all scorers with 20 points to go with 10 rebounds for South Florida, (7-14, 1-7), which has dropped nine of its last 10. Jawanza Poland had nine points in defeat.
Tied at just 10-10 nearly 7 1/2 minutes into the contest, West Virginia outscored the Bulls 17-6 in the remaining time of the first half.
"I thought it was kind of a 'blah' game for both teams," said West Virginia head coach Bob Huggins. "We played really, really well defensively at times."
Kilicli's jumper put the hosts in front 16-12. Then Flowers' make ended a string of 11 straight points to put West Virginia up by 13 with 1:59 left and it held a 27-16 advantage at the break.
Jones and Flowers bookended a 9-0 run early in the second half to put the Mountaineers ahead 36-20 with 15:32 remaining and they would hold a double- digit lead until late in the contest.
After Jones made 1-of-2 at the stripe with under two minutes to play, Poland hit a three-pointer to draw the visitors within seven, 48-41, with 1:44 on the clock.
However, Jones' layup on WVU's next possession extended the lead back to nine and the Mountaineers held on from there.
West Virginia improved to 7-1 in the all-time series against South Florida...The Mountaineers made 33.3 percent of their shots, but only 2-of-11 from three-point range, while USF made 31.4 percent from the field and a woeful 1-of-13 from beyond the arc.
- SOUTH FLORIDA: 46
WEST VIRGINIA: 56
Jan 23 3:58 PM
- SOUTH FLORIDA: 16
WEST VIRGINIA: 27
Jan 23 2:44 PM
- SOUTH FLORIDA: 0
WEST VIRGINIA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 23 2:05 PM
- Press Virginia meets its match, ousted by Stephen F. Austin Mar 18
- Pressure! West Virginia, Stephen F Austin match frenetic D Mar 17
- WVU's goggled junior Devin Williams has opened some eyes Mar 15
- West Virginia's deep bench led by top scorer Jaysean Paige Feb 25
- West Virginia dedicates statue to "Hot Rod" Hundley Feb 20
- West Virginia forward Jonathan Holton reinstated to team Feb 11
- Huggins critical of team after No. 9 WVU loses at Florida Jan 30
- Calipari, No. 1 Kentucky to meet former assistant Antigua Nov 26
- West Virginia preview capsule Oct 28
- WVU's Huggins wants 'Press Virginia' to commit fewer fouls Oct 28
- Kentucky dominates West Virginia start to finish Mar 27
- Wildcats and Mountaineers meet in Sweet 16 Mar 26