Irish show no signs of rust with easy win at DePaulFeb 4, 2011 - 7:22 AM
Scott Martin added 15 points, Tim Abromaitis scored 13 and Tyrone Nash had 10 for a well-rested Notre Dame team that was coming off a nine-day break.
The Fighting Irish (18-4, 7-3 Big East) had been off since upsetting then-No. 2 Pittsburgh on January 24 -- the signature win in their very good season.
They eased back into action against the worst team in the Big East.
"I thought the layoff helped us. We got energized," said Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey. "It was great this week in practice and I thought our energy was very good here. We were excited to compete."
DePaul remained winless in-conference while losing by double-digits for the eighth time in its nine Big East games.
Brandon Young led the Blue Demons (6-15, 0-9) with 16 points and Moses Morgan added 10.
Notre Dame scored the game's first seven points and never trailed, but its lead was just 22-20 midway through the first half after DePaul's Jimmy Drew buried a three-pointer.
One long run took care of things.
The Irish finished the half with a 15-4 burst and carried a 37-24 lead into the break behind 46 percent shooting.
Hansbrough scored 11 in the first half, then opened the second with a trey to give the Irish a 16-point lead and extend their overall run to 18-4.
"I thought we controlled tempo when we needed to and defended well," said Brey.
DePaul was never in it after that, while Notre Dame's lead ballooned as high as 26 points several times down the stretch.
The Irish shot 51 percent from the field, including 56 percent in the second half...The Blue Demons shot 35 percent...Notre Dame leads the all-time series 57-44...The only Big East game DePaul hasn't lost by double-digits was a 67-65 setback against West Virginia on January 4.
- Beachem says he'll be back at Notre Dame for senior season May 1
- Notre Dame's Beachem enters NBA draft, won't hire an agent Apr 12
- Jackson: Meeting with Brey, NCAA play led him to opt for NBA Mar 30
- Notre Dame's Jackson decides to enter NBA draft Mar 29
- Brey: Notre Dame's Jackson has to explore entering NBA draft Mar 28
- Notre Dame can't find one last run to beat North Carolina Mar 28
- North Carolina and Notre Dame know each other well Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Notre Dame finally finding March success under Brey Mar 23
- ND's Auguste at best in March, shooting 86 percent in NCAAs Mar 22
- Doing it all: Versatile Walkup, Stephen F. Austin face Irish Mar 19
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17