Hardy, No. 23 St. John's rout DePaulFeb 24, 2011 - 5:27 AM St. John's in a 76-51 rout of DePaul at Carnesecca Arena.
Paris Horne scored 14 points for St. John's (18-9, 10-5 Big East), which is back in the national rankings for the first time in 11 years. The resurgent Red Storm joined the poll this week for the first time since November 2000.
D.J. Kennedy had 11 points and 10 rebounds in the victory, the fifth in a row for St. John's.
"Tonight's victory is an example of a team developing a hard edge and maturity that will bode well for us coming down the home stretch and into the postseason," said St. John's head coach Steve Lavin.
Cleveland Melvin scored 16 points to lead the Blue Demons (7-20, 1-14), who have dropped two in a row since beating Providence. DePaul head coach Oliver Purnell said his team did not play well, but added that the Red Storm's 2-3 zone defense played a big part in that.
"That's probably the best zone that we've seen all year long, and they are playing with a lot of confidence," Purnell said.
The Red Storm used a 9-0 run, which Hardy bookended with layups, to take a 15-7 lead.
They continued to hold a small advantage until late in the half, when they took control with a 12-0 stretch. Kennedy and Hardy capped the burst with three-pointers, putting St. John's up 33-14. The Red Storm carried a 37-22 lead into the break.
Hardy's three-point play a little more than two minutes in extended the St. John's lead to 44-24, and the Blue Demons' shooting struggles allowed the Red Storm to pull away further.
Dwayne Polee II dunked with just under 13 minutes remaining, ending an eight- point run and giving the Red Storm a 57-28 lead, and they cruised from there.
St. John's played its 500th game at Carnesecca Arena...The Red Storm shot 54 percent, while DePaul made 31 percent of its shots...St. John's held a 43-29 rebounding edge.
- DEPAUL: 51
ST. JOHN'S: 76
Feb 23 9:02 PM
- DEPAUL: 22
ST. JOHN'S: 37
Feb 23 7:50 PM
- DEPAUL: 0
ST. JOHN'S: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 23 7:05 PM
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- St. John's center Sima out 4-6 weeks with broken hand Jan 8
- Podkowa helps No. 18 DePaul women top No. 15 Texas A&M 80-66 Dec 12
- St. John's freshman Kassoum Yakwe cleared to play by NCAA Nov 25
- NCAA reinstates St. John's guard Felix Balamou Nov 19
- St. John's Balamou sidelined indefinitely by NCAA Nov 13
- St. John's LoVett ruled a partial qualifier by NCAA Nov 11
- St. Thomas Aquinas beats St. John's 90-58 Nov 4
- St. John's about to start the "Mullin Era" Oct 21
- Richmond, St. Jean complete Mullin's staff Oct 6
- St. John's hires Chris Mullin as coach Mar 31
- Report: Mullin to be St. John's coach Mar 30