San Diego State cruises past San Diego ChristianNov 27, 2010 - 6:18 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Kawhi Leonard and Chase Tapley both scored 14 points to lead 18th-ranked San Diego State to an 88-69 rout of San Diego Christian.
Billy White netted 10 points for the Aztecs (6-0), who were playing in their home opener and unveiled their 2010 Mountain West Conference tournament championship banner prior to tip-off.
"I thought San Diego Christian played extremely hard, and made some shots when they were guarded and made some shots when they weren't guarded," said SDSU head coach Steve Fisher. "We're pleased to be 6-0."
Aaron Felix scored 21 points to pace the Hawks (3-5), a member of the NAIA's Golden State Athletic Conference. Tyler Mutton added 19 points in the setback.
"One thing we tried to do is run a lot of motion," said Hawks head coach Conrad Sun. "We knew that they were long, athletic and that they can get to places, so we wanted to spread the court as much as possible."
San Diego State led from start to finish, but the game was still close when Seth Koenig's layup had the Hawks within 23-22 with 7:19 left in the first half.
But the Aztecs followed with a 13-3 run to start to take control. Tapley's layup provided a 36-25 advantage with 2:41 to play, and SDSU went into the break with a 44-34 lead.
After Felix drained a three-pointer about a minute into the second half, Malcolm Thomas countered with a dunk for a 48-37 lead, and the Aztecs were up by double digits the rest of the way.
The advantage reached 72-52 on James Rahon's three, and SDSU cruised in the final nine-plus minutes.
The Aztecs recorded their 16th consecutive non-conference home win, matching a school record...San Diego State is 6-0 for the first time since the 2006-07 season...The Aztecs won six straight home openers.
- SAN DIEGO CHRST: 69
SAN DIEGO STATE: 88
Nov 26 11:38 PM
- SAN DIEGO CHRST: 34
SAN DIEGO STATE: 44
Nov 26 10:43 PM
- SAN DIEGO CHRST: 0
SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 26 10:08 PM
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Blue Devils battle Aztecs in South Regional action Mar 22
- San Diego State holds off St. John's to advance Mar 21
- Red Storm tangle with Aztecs in South Region Mar 20