Gators defeat No. 6 Kansas StateDec 19, 2010 - 12:46 AM Sunrise, FL (Sports Network) - Kenny Boynton scored 15 points and Florida used a big second half to beat No. 6 Kansas State, 57-44, in the Orange Bowl Classic.
Erving Walker added 13 points and Vernon Macklin scored 10 for the Gators (8-2), who have won three straight games since their loss to UCF on December 1.
Jacob Pullen led all scorers with 19 points for the Wildcats (9-2), who had a five-game winning streak snapped.
Florida trailed by as many as 12 points in the first half and was behind, 23-20, at the break despite holding Kansas State to 32 percent shooting in the first 20 minutes.
The Gators took control of the game with a 20-6 run to open the second half, moving out to a 40-29 lead on Erik Murphy's layup midway through the frame.
Macklin scored eight of his 10 points during the spurt, while Boynton and Chandler Parsons both had four.
Florida locked down at the other end, too, holding the Wildcats without a field goal for the first 9:06 of the half.
Kansas State got as close as seven points, but the Gators responded with a 12-1 run, highlighted by a pair of Boynton three-pointers, to take an 18-point lead with 4:09 remaining.
The Wildcats were never closer than the final score, shooting just 22 percent in the second half and 27 percent for the game. Their only previous loss this season was to No. 1 Duke last month.
It was the fifth game in a row Florida held its opponent to 57 points or fewer.
This was the first-ever meeting between these teams...Florida shot 54 percent from the field...The Gators committed 18 turnovers while forcing nine...Rodney McGruder had a game-high nine rebounds for Kansas State.
- KANSAS STATE: 44
Dec 18 6:25 PM
- KANSAS STATE: 23
Dec 18 5:16 PM
- KANSAS STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 18 4:28 PM
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Kansas State freshman Freeman transferring to Florida juco Apr 12
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7
- February freefall leaves Florida in need of Kentucky win Feb 29
- With road stretch looming, Florida needs to win at home Feb 8
- Florida likely without starter Justin Leon vs No. 9 WVU Jan 29