Notre Dame knocks off Stony BrookDec 20, 2010 - 12:29 AM South Bend, IN (Sports Network) - Tim Abromaitis scored 22 points and grabbed eight rebounds as 24th-ranked Notre Dame knocked off Stony Brook, 88-62, at the Purcell Pavilion.
Carleton Scott supplied 20 points, four boards and five assists while Ben Hansbrough chipped in 14 points, four rebounds and eight assists for the Fighting Irish (10-1), who have won two in a row since losing to Kentucky on December 8.
"I thought we were very focused," Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey said. "After exams you're always concerned a bit. We did a good job of not letting them get going out on the three-point line. It's fun to watch this group play, they really play the game the right way."
Marcus Rouse scored 15 points and Anthony Jackson contributed a dozen for the Seawolves (4-6), who have dropped two in a row and five of their last six.
Hansbrough drained a three-pointer that started a 10-0 burst and finished it with a layup to hand the Irish an 18-10 advantage with 12:41 to play in the first half.
The Seawolves pulled to within 29-26 with 5:39 remaining before Notre Dame ended the half on a 12-2 run to forge a 12-point lead at the break.
An Abromaitis triple gave the Irish a 20-point cushion with 16:18 to play and the hosts were able to push the lead to 29 at the midway point of the second half and to as many as 33 in coasting to victory the rest of the way.
Abromaitis made 8-of-13 shots while Scott nailed all eight of his, including four from beyond the arc...Notre Dame connected on 9-of-18 three-point tries while Stony Brook went 6-of-16 from long distance...The Irish had 28 assists on 34 made buckets...Stony Brook shot just 37.7 from the floor and attempted only eight foul shots...The Seawolves had only 11 helpers on 26 baskets.
- STONY BROOK: 62
NOTRE DAME: 88
Dec 19 6:21 PM
- STONY BROOK: 28
NOTRE DAME: 41
Dec 19 5:21 PM
- STONY BROOK: 0
NOTRE DAME: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 19 4:41 PM
- Beachem says he'll be back at Notre Dame for senior season May 1
- Notre Dame's Beachem enters NBA draft, won't hire an agent Apr 12
- Stony Brook hires Ohio State's Boals as basketball coach Apr 9
- Jackson: Meeting with Brey, NCAA play led him to opt for NBA Mar 30
- Notre Dame's Jackson decides to enter NBA draft Mar 29
- Brey: Notre Dame's Jackson has to explore entering NBA draft Mar 28
- Notre Dame can't find one last run to beat North Carolina Mar 28
- North Carolina and Notre Dame know each other well Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Notre Dame finally finding March success under Brey Mar 23
- ND's Auguste at best in March, shooting 86 percent in NCAAs Mar 22
- Doing it all: Versatile Walkup, Stephen F. Austin face Irish Mar 19