Syracuse edges Georgia Tech in Legends Classic title gameNov 28, 2010 - 7:28 AM Atlantic City, NJ (Sports Network) - Kris Joseph's 19 points led ninth-ranked Syracuse past Georgia Tech, 80-76 in the championship game of the fourth annual Legends Classic at Boardwalk Hall.
Rick Jackson had a double-double with 10 points and 14 rebounds for Syracuse (6-0), which got to the title game by a close victory over Michigan, 53-50, on Friday. Scoop Jardine chipped in with 15 points and Dion Waiters added 13 points in the win.
Brian Oliver had a game-best 32 points for the Yellow Jackets (4-2), who came into the game with a three-game win streak, including a 71-61 victory over Texas-El Paso in Friday's semifinal.
"It's not the ending I wanted," Oliver said. "Yeah, I scored a lot, but it's for nothing because we didn't get the win."
Iman Shumpert posted 11 points in defeat.
Syracuse took the lead for good with 15:16 left when Joseph drilled a three- pointer, making the score 51-49. That shot was in a midst of a 13-2 run. The Orange then took 13-point lead with 8:23 left to play on two Brandon Triche's free throws.
They were able to keep the distance the rest of the way, making five free throws in the last 1:04 to seal the victory.
Georgia Tech jumped to a 12-5 lead during the first six minutes, and Oliver recorded 13 of the team's first 19 points.
Syracuse cut the lead to one with 1:05 left in the first half, 36-35, when C.J. Fair hit a layup. Fair then hit three-pointer to give the team a 38-36 lead into the break. The three capped off a 12-3 run during the last 3:38 to play in the half.
Syracuse tied the series up at two apiece...Oliver's 32-point performance was a career-high...Fair posted 10 points for the victors...Syracuse shot 55.6 percent from the field, making 25-45 shots.
- SYRACUSE: 80
GEORGIA TECH: 76
Nov 27 9:52 PM
- SYRACUSE: 38
GEORGIA TECH: 36
Nov 27 8:41 PM
- SYRACUSE: 0
GEORGIA TECH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 27 8:02 PM
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Georgia Tech hires Pastner from Memphis to replace Gregory Apr 9
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Bobinski looking for coach to revitalize Georgia Tech hoops Mar 28
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27