BYU holds off St. Mary'sNov 28, 2010 - 7:30 AM South Padre Island, TX (Sports Network) - Jimmer Fredette scored a game-high 24 points and No. 23 BYU edged the St. Mary's Gaels, 74-73, in the final game of the South Padre Island Invitational.
Jackson Emery scored 15 points and Kyle Collinsworth added 10 for the Cougars (6-0), who were coming off a double-overtime victory over South Florida on Friday.
"This was a really, really great weekend for us," BYU head coach Dave Rose said. "I was really thrilled for how the guys competed together as a group. The biggest thing we gained from this weekend is how to win together as a group."
Rob Jones led St. Mary's with 18 points and both Mitchell Young and Mickey McConnell added 12 points for the Gaels (6-1), who edged Texas Tech on Friday.
The teams traded baskets in the final minutes and Fredette's free throws with 32 ticks remaining gave the Cougars a 69-66 advantage, but McConnell hit a layup to draw the Gaels within one point.
St. Mary's took the lead at 70-69 on two Matthew Dellavedova free throws with 22 seconds left, but Fredette hit a three-pointer with 11 seconds remaining and Charles Abouo added a pair from the line to put BYU up 74-70.
McConnell hit a three at the buzzer to account for the final margin.
BYU held a slim 43-40 advantage at halftime after Emery led the Cougars with 11 points on 4-of-7 shooting.
A Fredette jumper in the opening minutes of the second half extended the Cougars' lead to eight, 49-41.
The Gaels trimmed the lead and Jones put them ahead for the first time in the second half with a jumper at 15:19. But two Brandon David free throws 32 second later regained the margin for BYU.
Logan Magnusson extended the BYU lead to seven, 59-52, with a jumper inside 12 minutes, but once again St. Mary's used a quick spurt to keep the game close.
Dellavedova finished with 11 points for the Gaels...BYU made 54 percent of its shots and St. Mary's 49 percent.
- ST. MARY'S: 73
Nov 27 10:04 PM
- ST. MARY'S: 40
Nov 27 8:54 PM
- ST. MARY'S: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 27 8:08 PM
- BYU freshman phenom Emery having record-setting season Feb 26
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Utah coach says 'toxic' atmosphere halted BYU series Jan 11
- Utah cancels basketball game against BYU next season Jan 6
- BYU guard Nick Emery suspended 1 game for punching opponent Dec 3
- BYU's Kyle Collinsworth relishes Mr. Triple-Double title Dec 3
- No. 17 Oklahoma women rebound to defeat BYU 73-47 Nov 19
- Ole Miss surges back to beat BYU in Dayton Mar 18
- BYU and Ole Miss meet in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 17
- No. 7 Gonzaga beats BYU to win 14th WCC title Mar 11
- Bulldogs and Cougars collide in WCC title game Mar 10
- BYU ends No. 3 Gonzaga's 41-game home win streak Mar 1