Johnson, Purdue crush IPFWDec 22, 2010 - 3:52 AM West Lafayette, IN (Sports Network) - JaJuan Johnson led all scorers with 24 points and grabbed 13 rebounds, as 14th-ranked Purdue earned an easy 77-52 win over IUPU-Fort Wayne at Mackey Arena.
D.J. Byrd netted 15 points, while E'Twaun Moore added 11 points, six assists and five boards for Purdue (11-1), which has won six straight since dropping a 65-54 decision against Richmond on November 27.
"We had a couple of stretches that were tough and it really comes down to us and not really the opponent," Purdue head coach Matt Painter said. "We took hurried shots, we were casual with the basketball and if we keep the game simple, we're pretty efficient and pretty productive on the offensive end."
Oleg Kovalov scored a team-high 12 points for IUPU-Fort Wayne (7-4), which has dropped two straight after winning the previous six contests. Ben Botts and Zach Plackemeier both posted 10 points in defeat. Plackemeier also chipped in seven assists.
IPFW held a 9-6 advantage in the first five minutes of the contest before Terone Johnson hit a three-pointer to start Purdue on a 14-2 run. JaJuan Johnson followed the three with a layup and dunk, then finished off the surge with a jumper, giving the Boilermakers a 20-11 lead with 8:06 left in the opening half.
It was a 25-22 game in favor of the hosts with 4:20 remaining, but Purdue scored the final six points to take a 31-22 advantage into the locker room.
The Boilermakers took all the suspense out of the contest by starting the second half with a 13-2 burst.
Trey McCorkle's jumper for IPFW opened the scoring before Moore answered with a three-point play to start a string of 13 unanswered by Purdue. After JaJuan Johnson finished off the run with a dunk, the hosts had a commanding 44-24 lead with 16:01 remaining.
IPFW never threatened the outcome in the remaining time on the clock as Purdue maintained a comfortable double-digit lead throughout.
Purdue, which improved to 4-0 all-time against IPFW, shot 53.4 percent from the field and made 10 three-pointers...IPFW made 34.6 percent of its shots and 9-of-24 from beyond the arc.
- IUPU-FT WAYNE: 52
Dec 21 8:18 PM
- IUPU-FT WAYNE: 22
Dec 21 7:15 PM
- IUPU-FT WAYNE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 21 6:31 PM
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22
- One-hit wonder? Little Rock hopes to keep turnaround going Mar 16
- Hammons' turnaround helps put Purdue back on national map Mar 15
- North Dakota State edges IPFW in Summit tourney, 69-68 Mar 7
- IPFW beats South Dakota 86-70 in Summit League quarterfinal Mar 5
- Purdue's Swanigan out vs. Minnesota with ankle injury Jan 27
- IPFW coasts past Purdue North Central 126-95 Jan 2
- NCAA rules Purdue freshman Caleb Swanigan is eligible Oct 30
- Boilermakers looking for big basketball results in 2015-16 Oct 27