FSU beats No. 15 Baylor in HawaiiDec 26, 2010 - 3:24 AM Honolulu, HI (Sports Network) - Chris Singleton totaled 17 points and 10 rebounds, as Florida State upended No. 15 Baylor, 68-61, in the third-place game of the Diamond Head Classic.
Derwin Kitchen led the way with 19 points for the Seminoles (11-3), who bounced back from a three-point loss to Butler on Thursday. Bernard James added 15 points and 10 boards.
LaceDarius Dunn had 23 points for the Bears (8-3), who have lost back-to-back contests for the first time since March 2 and March 7, 2009. Quincy Acy tallied 16 points and A.J. Walton 15 for Baylor, which lost to Washington State on Thursday. The Bears shot just 33.3 percent from the field in defeat.
A jumper by Singleton expanded Florida State's four-point halftime lead to 45-35 4 1/2 minutes into the second half.
Dunn's three-pointer with 8:14 left pulled the Bears within 51-49, and Baylor forged a tie two times, the last at 59-59 following a Dunn jumper with 3:16 to play. Singleton then broke the stalemate by draining a three with 2:39 left.
Singleton then came up with a steal, leading to a pair of free throws from Kitchen with 2:04 remaining.
Baylor got within 64-61 on a hanging shot by Acy in the lane with 26.6 seconds to go, but he missed the ensuing free throw. The Seminoles got two foul shots from Okaro White with 13.8 seconds left to seal the win.
The Bears scored eight straight points, with Dunn capping the run with a jumper, for a 12-5 lead nearly seven minutes into the game.
FSU came back with eight in a row later in the half to take a 29-28 edge following a Michael Snaer three-pointer inside four minutes remaining. The Seminoles led 37-33 at the break.
FSU is 3-0 all-time against Baylor...The Bears went 5-for-14 from three-point range and have hit at least one shot from beyond the arc in 599 consecutive games, the second-longest active streak in the Big 12...Baylor is 6-11 all- time vs. current ACC schools.
- BAYLOR: 61
FLORIDA STATE: 68
Dec 25 9:41 PM
- BAYLOR: 33
FLORIDA STATE: 37
Dec 25 8:24 PM
- BAYLOR: 0
FLORIDA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 25 7:33 PM
- Florida State guard Rathan-Mayes returning for junior season May 2
- Junior college guard Angola-Rodas to attend Florida State Apr 20
- Mutombo's nephew signs to play basketball at Florida State Apr 13
- Florida State's Rathan-Mayes to enter NBA draft Apr 5
- Florida State's Bacon withdraws from NBA draft consideration Mar 28
- Florida State's Beasley focuses on training for NBA draft Mar 24
- Florida State's Bacon to submit name for NBA draft Mar 23
- Florida State hope lessons learned will pay off next season Mar 18
- King's heart: Baylor freshman playing with defibrillator Mar 15
- FSU's Beacon and Beasley focused on NIT, not NBA Mar 14
- Florida State senior Devon Bookert emerges as team leader Mar 4
- Hamilton, Florida State looks to snap 5-game losing streak Feb 26