Aztecs down Utah, ease into MWC semisMar 11, 2011 - 6:30 AM Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - Kawhi Leonard finished with 13 points and 12 rebounds, as No. 7 San Diego State eased past Utah, 64-50, in the Mountain West Conference quarterfinals.
Malcolm Thomas added 13 points, 10 rebounds and eight assists for the second- seeded Aztecs (30-2), who will play UNLV on Friday. Billy White chipped in 11 points and nine boards.
Will Clyburn paced the seventh-seeded Utes with a game-high 20 points. Clyburn also grabbed seven boards while Josh Watkins added 12 points and six assists for Utah (13-18).
After a slow first half, the Aztecs carried a 30-15 lead into the break. Leonard had seven points and eight boards in the opening 20 minutes as San Diego State shot 39.4 percent from the field. The Utes shot just 30.4 percent.
"I thought our game plan was good," Utah coach Jim Boyle said. "The zone looked good and functioned good. The difference in the first half was the offensive end, it really hurt us."
The Utes got as close at 32-23 early in the second half, but a Chase Tapley jumper five minutes in started a 14-2 San Diego State run that put the game away for good.
Thomas capped the run with a fastbreak dunk and the Aztecs cruised down the stretch.
J.J. O'Brien and David Foster both scored six points for Utah...The Aztecs held a 42-30 rebounding margin and forced 20 Utah turnovers.
- Utah center Jakob Poeltl declares for NBA draft Apr 13
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Gonzaga's Sabonis gets best of Utah's Poeltl Mar 20
- Air up there: Zags, Utah features rare meeting of big men Mar 18
- Throwback centers featured in Denver's Midwest Regional Mar 16
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- Seniors Taylor, Loveridge have No. 13 Utah rolling to finish Mar 3
- Taylor leads No. 22 Utah over No. 9 Arizona 70-64 Feb 27
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- Athletic big man Jakob Poeltl shines in post for Utah Feb 16
- Utah coach Krystkowiak says time to put 'big boy pants' on Feb 9
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1