Williams leads Arizona past Oregon StateMar 11, 2011 - 7:51 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Derrick Williams posted 22 points as No. 16 Arizona downed Oregon State, 78-69, in Pac-10 quarterfinal action.
Kevin Parrom and Lamont Jones each scored 13 points for the Wildcats (26-6), the top seed in the tournament who advanced to a Friday semifinal against Southern California.
Solomon Hill added nine points and 11 boards for Arizona, which is one step closer to claiming its fifth conference playoff crown.
Jared Cunningham tallied a game-high 23 points for the Beavers (11-20), who topped Stanford on Wednesday. Ahmad Starks scored 17 in a losing effort.
OSU led 17-11 on an Omari Johnson bucket 6 1/2 minutes in, but Arizona reversed that trend with a 16-5 run. Jamelle Horne got the clip started with a long-distance make, Jones also added a triple and Williams hit from beyond the arc to end the burst at 27-22 with 7:02 left before the break.
Starks completed a three-point play to draw the Beavers within 32-30, but the Wildcats responded prior to intermission, going up 40-37 on a Devon Collier lay-in.
Arizona bolted from the block in the second half, taking a 58-45 advantage more than six minutes in after Hill sank a trey. Starks hit back-to-back triples to shrink the deficit to seven, but Arizona tallied 10 in a row to lead 68-51 with 7:46 left.
OSU had nothing left in the tank from there.
"Well, we'd certainly much rather be playing tomorrow," said Beavers head coach Craig Robinson. "For a while there I was excited about what was going on, but (there was) a stretch there where they banged three threes and it seemed like we couldn't get past the 10-point stretch."
Arizona has won 53 of the 73 all-time meetings with Oregon State...OSU forward Joe Burton was ejected with 10:25 remaining in the contest for elbowing Parrom, drawing a flagrant foul in the process...The Wildcats connected on 11- of-21 three pointers and won the battle of the glass 36-31.
- OREGON STATE: 69
Mar 10 7:39 PM
- OREGON STATE: 37
Mar 10 6:27 PM
- OREGON STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 10 5:42 PM
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Beavers bummed about early exit, but excited for the future Mar 19
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Arizona coach Sean Miller fed up with court storming Feb 25
- Pac-12 says end of Washington-Oregon State handled properly Feb 25
- Trier misses 3 at buzzer, No. 9 Arizona falls to Colorado Feb 25
- Arizona's Miller rips into team after loss to No. 23 Oregon Jan 29
- No. 11 Oregon State women grind out 61-47 win over Colorado Jan 24