Creighton shoots down Ducks in Game One of CBI championshipMar 29, 2011 - 3:07 AM Omaha, NE (Sports Network) - Doug McDermott scored 21 points in Creighton's 84-76 win over Oregon to take the first game of a best-of-three series in the Championship Round of the CBI Tournament.
Gregory Echenique added 15 points and nine rebounds for the Bluejays (23-14), who have breezed into the CBI finals with three double-digit victories. Jahenns Manigat and Josh Jones each provided 11 points in the win.
Joevan Catron posted 15 points and nine boards for the Ducks (19-18), who reached the title series by defeating Boise State, 79-71 in the semifinals. Prior to that, Oregon took down Weber State and Duquesne.
Garrett Sim and Jay-R Strowbridge each had 14 points in the loss as the series will switch to Eugene on Wednesday for game number two. Game three will also take place in Eugene on Friday if necessary.
Early in the game, the Bluejays went on a 9-0 burst to take a 22-13 lead with 13:42 left to play in the first. Oregon managed to cut its deficit to two a couple times before Darryl Ashford's tip-in made up the 44-37 lead in favor of Creighton.
The Bluejays never surrendered the lead in the second half, going up by double-digits following McDermott's three-pointer just two minutes in.
The lead grew to as many as 17 before the Ducks threatened in the final minutes. Catron's jumper with 2 1/2 minutes remaining made it a 76-72 game and Strowbridge's trey a minute later kept it a four-point contest.
However, the Bluejays held on down the stretch.
This was just the second-ever meeting between the two schools on the hardwood, and the first since 1974. In the previous meeting, the Ducks claimed a 75-64 decision over Creighton in a game played in Portland...Antoine Young had nine points and eight assists for the victors, while E.J. Singler and Johnathan Loyd each had 10 points in the loss.
- OREGON: 76
Mar 28 10:08 PM
- OREGON: 37
Mar 28 8:50 PM
- OREGON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 28 8:08 PM
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Altman on Coach K: 'I had no problem with what he did' Apr 1
- Coach K apologizes to Altman for postgame chat with Brooks Mar 26
- Altman backs Brooks after late-game drama with Coach K Mar 26
- Oklahoma's Kruger, Oregon's Altman test bond in Elite Eight Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- Oregon's rise on national stage highlighted by top seed Mar 15
- Power outage briefly cuts lights at Oregon-USC game Mar 5
- Oregon breaks into top 10, highest ranking since '07 Feb 29