Dixon leads No. 7 Missouri over Iowa StateMar 1, 2012 - 4:18 AM Missouri players in double figures, as the seventh-ranked Tigers pulled away to beat Iowa State, 78-72, on Wednesday.
Ricardo Ratliffe scored 16 points for Missouri (26-4, 13-4 Big 12), which snapped a two-game losing streak and clinched the No. 2 seed in the upcoming Big 12 Tournament.
"We really have to stay true to what we've done all year," said Missouri head coach Frank Haith about preparing for the postseason. "We have to continue to do our preparation work how we've done it all year."
Marcus Denmon finished with 14 points and seven rebounds, while Kim English contributed totals of 13 and eight in the win. Phil Pressey added 11 points, four assists and three steals.
Royce White registered 20 points, nine assists and six rebounds for the Cyclones (21-9, 11-6), who had their winning streak halted at three games.
"[White] did a good job of getting the ball. He does such a good job creating out there for our other guys. But they made an adjustment. They put a bigger guy on him. I still thought we got some good looks in that second half," said Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg.
Melvin Ejim supplied a double-double of 10 points and 13 boards in defeat.
The Tigers fell behind by seven five-plus minutes into the second half as Iowa State went ahead 52-45 on a Scott Christopherson trey. Missouri answered by scoring eight straight points, reclaiming the lead on English's fastbreak layup.
Later, Missouri used a 9-0 surge to erase a 59-55 deficit, then the Tigers netted seven consecutive points after two free throws by Ejim tied the game at 64 with 3:52 remaining.
A Christopherson turnover led to a Pressey layup for a 71-64 Missouri advantage with 1:19 to play.
The Cyclones got off to a slow start at Mizzou Arena, allowing the Tigers to score the game's first seven points. But Iowa State responded with a 9-1 run to grab its first lead on a White layup.
White led all scorers with 14 points in the first half on 6-of-10 shooting.
After trailing by seven early in the contest, Iowa State wound up leading by the same amount when a Bubu Palo three-pointer made it 32-25 with 6:05 left. Another White bucket put the Cyclones up 38-30, but Missouri managed to halve its deficit by halftime, 40-36.
Pressey broke Missouri's single-season record for assists with his first one on Wednesday. He entered the game tied with Anthony Peeler (179 in 1989-90)...The Tigers have won nine straight in this series...Missouri set a school record for the most Big 12 wins in a season. The Tigers are moving to the SEC next season...Iowa State fell to 1-5 against ranked opponents this year...Christopherson had 15 points.
- IOWA STATE: 72
Feb 29 10:02 PM
- IOWA STATE: 40
Feb 29 8:48 PM
- IOWA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 29 8:05 PM
- Malou heading to NBA draft without playing for Iowa St May 11
- Iowa State signs pair of transfer big men May 9
- Iowa State guard Naz Mitrou-Long granted hardship waiver Apr 29
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Apr 25
- Ex-Iowa State athlete sues school over response to rape case Apr 13
- Iowa State signs prep forward Cameron Lard Apr 13
- Iowa St point guard Monte Morris to return for senior season Apr 8
- Cyclones' season starts with Final 4 hopes, ends in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Iowa State struggles early, falls to Virginia 84-71 Mar 26
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Iowa State coach Prohm helps Cyclones reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Iowa State's Niang honed his craft guarding Nerlens Noel Mar 18