Balanced attack leads Illinois past No. 19 GonzagaDec 3, 2011 - 11:05 PM
D.J. Richardson added 19 points for the Illini (8-0), who are off to their first 8-0 start since the 2005-06 campaign. Brandon Paul and Sam Maniscalco donated 13 and 10 points, respectively.
Elias Harris ended with 19 points and eight boards for the Bulldogs (5-1), who suffered their first loss of the season. Robert Sacre and Kevin Pangos had 16 and 11 points, respectively.
Illinois took a 34-26 lead with over six minutes left in the first half after Richardson bookended an 8-0 run with a pair of three-pointers.
But Gonzaga scored the next five points to keep it close and went into the locker room down just 38-36 after a trey from David Stockton.
Illinois tried to pull away multiple times in the second half, but the Bulldogs kept fighting. Paul's jumper with less than 14 1/2 minutes left made it a 52-42 contest.
Harris and Gary Bell suddenly made it a four-point contest after connecting from beyond the arc on consecutive trips.
Gonzaga cut its deficit to two, 58-56, on Pangos' three-pointer with nine minutes to go.
But the Illini responded with an 11-4 spurt to essentially put the game out of reach. Richardson tallied five points during the run, which Leonard capped with a slam for a 69-60 margin.
The Bulldogs never got closer than five the rest of the way.
Illinois holds a 4-1 edge in the all-time series...The Illini won their first 15 games in 2005-06...Illinois extended its non-conference home winning streak to 23 games...Bell left late in the game with a knee injury.
- GONZAGA: 75
Dec 3 5:25 PM
- GONZAGA: 36
Dec 3 4:08 PM
- GONZAGA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 3 3:19 PM
- Illinois' Tate rejoins basketball team after case dropped May 20
- Prosecutor: Case against Illinois' Jaylon Tate dropped May 19
- Brown gets new job at Illinois; Nunn pleads in battery case May 18
- Illinois' Nunn pleads guilty to misdemeanor, gets probation May 18
- Groce: Illinois' Black reinstated, will sit out 6 games May 6
- 9 years after Chief's end, Illinois looks for mascot May 2
- Illinois' Leron Black gets probation for threatening bouncer Apr 21
- Gonzaga's Domantas Sabonis declares for NBA draft Apr 7
- Deal would reduce charge, let Illinois' Black avoid jail Apr 4
- Timeline: NCAA calls Zags coach to admit officiating error Apr 1
- Gonzaga loses 63-60 to Syracuse in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- After arrests, Illinois AD gives Groce another endorsement Mar 24