Iowa topples No. 13 MichiganJan 15, 2012 - 12:44 AM Iowa City, IA (Sports Network) - Matt Gatens scored 19 points, leading Iowa to a 75-59 upset of 13th-ranked Michigan on Saturday.
Roy Devyn Marble added 13 points, Aaron White had 12 and Zach McCabe chipped in 11, as the Hawkeyes (11-8, 3-3 Big Ten) halted a two-game slide.
Trey Burke scored a team-high 19 for the Wolverines (14-4, 4-2), who had won nine of 10 entering Saturday. Zack Novak finished with 14 points and eight rebounds.
The Hawkeyes suffered a 34-point dismantling at the hands of Michigan State on Tuesday, but were firmly in control against Michigan.
They led by 10 late in the first half before Novak knocked down a three and Jordan Morgan hit a pair of free throws with 1:22 remaining. But a three-point play by Gatens and a fadeaway jumper by Marble at the buzzer had the Hawkeyes up 33-23 at the break.
"Being down 10 at the half and having to come back on the road, I thought that was going to be tough," said Wolverines coach John Beilein.
The advantage reached 40-26 on Gatens' trey early in the second half before Michigan briefly came to life. An 11-3 run, highlighted by six points from Tim Hardaway Jr., made it 43-37 with just over 12 minutes remaining.
The Wolverines got no closer, as Iowa responded with 10 straight points to put the game away. Gatens and Melsahn Basabe combined for seven points during the burst and White capped it with a layup to give the Hawkeyes a 53-37 lead with just over eight minutes left. They maintained a double-digit edge the rest of the way.
"[Gatens] made big shots late when we needed them, free throws late when we needed them," said Iowa coach Fran McCaffery. "Just an incredibly complete game with phenomenal effort, focus and concentration."
The Hawkeyes snapped a six-game slide against the Wolverines...Michigan leads the all-time series 89-58, but the Hawkeyes hold a 36-35 advantage in Iowa City...Hardaway finished with nine points, but went 2-of-13 from the field, including 0-of-8 from three-point range.
- MICHIGAN: 59
Jan 14 3:04 PM
- MICHIGAN: 23
Jan 14 1:50 PM
- MICHIGAN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 14 1:02 PM
- Peter Jok to return to Iowa for senior season May 20
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Michigan hires assistant hoops coaches Donlon and Washington May 4
- Michigan's Chatman receives release, plans to transfer May 3
- Iowa puts walk-on Nicholas Baer on scholarship Apr 7
- Michigan's Dawkins transferring to play for father at UCF Apr 6
- Michigan lifts transfer restrictions for Doyle, Albrecht Apr 1
- Iowa guard Andrew Fleming to transfer Mar 31
- Doyle, Albrecht receive transfer releases from Michigan Mar 29
- Iowa's promising season ends in disappointment Mar 21
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17