Moser powers UNLV past WyomingMar 4, 2012 - 7:14 AM Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - Mike Moser recorded a double-double with 17 points and 12 rebounds as No. 17 UNLV defeated Wyoming 74-63 at Thomas & Mack Center on Saturday.
Brice Massamba netted 15, Kendall Wallace added 14, and Anthony Marshall chipped in 12 off the bench for the Runnin' Rebels (25-7, 9-5 Mountain West). UNLV avenged a 68-66 loss at Wyoming on Feb. 4 as it improved to 16-0 at T&M Arena.
"I thought defensively, we did a good job," remarked UNLV head coach Dave Rice. "It's always hard playing against Wyoming because of their discipline. They are deliberate on offense. Everyone saw how good of team Wyoming is tonight."
UNLV locked up the third seed in the Mountain West tournament and will play the rubber match in this series on Thursday as it faces Wyoming in the 3-6 matchup in the first round.
Wyoming (20-10, 6-8) was led by Francisco Cruz with 16 points and Luke Martinez with 15. Adam Waddell and Leonard Washington scored nine points a piece, as the Cowboys saw their two game winning streak come to an end.
Mike Moser made a three-pointer to push the UNLV lead to 26-15 just passed the midway point of the first half, but Wyoming answered with the next seven to cut the margin to four, which proved to be the halftime difference, as the Runnin' Rebels took a 36-32 lead into the break.
Leading by three, UNLV got a triple from Wallace, followed by a four-point play by Wallace after a Larry Nance Jr. turnover, to give the hosts a 57-47 lead with just under 11 minutes left in the game.
Wyoming pulled within five, 60-55, on a Martinez three, but Moser reeled off a 7-0 spurt by himself to reestablish a double-digit margin at 67-55 with under five minutes to play.
The Cowboys got as close as 10 late, but Wyoming was unable to cut the deficit to single digits as UNLV held on for the victory.
Both teams shot 38.9 percent (7-of-18) from three-point range...The teams also had an equal number of rebounds (24) and turnovers (18)...UNLV had 20 assists compared to just 11 from Wyoming.
- WYOMING: 63
Mar 4 12:07 AM
- WYOMING: 32
Mar 3 10:50 PM
- WYOMING: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 3 10:04 PM
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- Shyatt steps down as Wyoming coach; Edwards is new coach Mar 21
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5
- UNLV gets back to business with interim coach Jan 11
- Rice resigns as UNLV's coach in middle of fifth season Jan 10