Michigan handles UCLANov 24, 2011 - 6:23 AM Maui, HI (Sports Network) - Zack Novak scored a career-high 22 points, as No. 15 Michigan downed UCLA, 79-63, at the Maui Invitational.
Tim Hardaway Jr. added 20 points, while Jon Horford had 12 points off the bench for the Wolverines (5-1), who claimed third-place in the tourney.
"It was a total team effort," said Novak.
Travis Wear paced the Bruins (1-4) with 16 points, while Jerime Anderson and Joshua Smith both had 12 points.
All four of UCLA's losses this season have come by double digits.
Horford rose from the pine to provide a significant spark in the first half, scoring all of his career-high 12 points over the first 20 minutes of play.
His layup at the 11:32 mark made it a 15-8 game and prompted a UCLA timeout.
"I just want to go in there and play hard, try to grab some rebounds and I just got the ball a little bit more than usual," Horford said.
Michigan, behind 58.3 percent shooting, held a 10-point lead in the waning moments of the opening half. But Anderson grabbed an offensive rebound and buried a fadeaway three-pointer as time expired to make it a 38-31 game at the break.
"Horford was awesome today," said Novak. "Really gave us positive contributions."
The Bruins, who landed in the consolation game following Tuesday's loss to Kansas, kept it close early in the second half.
Eventually, though, the Wolverines began to pull away.
Hardaway's dunk made it a 55-45 game with 10:38 remaining. A little over two minutes later, the sophomore swingman showed his versatility, hitting a deep trey to give the Wolverines a 63-47 lead.
They were not threatened for the remainder of the contest.
Michigan found itself in the third-place game with a loss to Duke on Tuesday...The Wolverines shot 61.7 percent for the game, including 50 percent (7-of-14) from beyond the arc. The Bruins shot 41.8 percent and 23.5 percent (4-of-17) from three-point range...UCLA leads the all-time series 11-5.
- MICHIGAN: 79
Nov 23 9:43 PM
- MICHIGAN: 38
Nov 23 8:35 PM
- MICHIGAN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 23 7:49 PM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Michigan hires assistant hoops coaches Donlon and Washington May 4
- Michigan's Chatman receives release, plans to transfer May 3
- Michigan's Dawkins transferring to play for father at UCF Apr 6
- Michigan lifts transfer restrictions for Doyle, Albrecht Apr 1
- Doyle, Albrecht receive transfer releases from Michigan Mar 29
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17
- Michigan's last-second shots set up First Four vs Tulsa Mar 16
- UCLA guard Bryce Alford recovering from hit to jaw Mar 6
- Tough finish for injured Michigan seniors LeVert, Albrecht Mar 2
- Michigan's Caris LeVert out for season because of ailing leg Mar 1
- Michigan's LeVert returns from leg injury against Purdue Feb 13