No. 18 Butler cruises past VanderbiltDec 30, 2012 - 5:01 AM Nashville, TN (Sports Network) - Rotnei Clarke gave 22 points as No. 18 Butler used a strong second half to post a 68-49 win over Vanderbilt.
Kellen Dunham gave 12 points while Khyle Marshall had nine points and 11 rebounds for the Bulldogs (10-2), who have won seven straight.
Kyle Fuller scored 10 points for the Commodores (5-6), who have dropped their past two games.
"We have had trouble putting it in the goal at times," Vanderbilt coach Kevin Stallings admitted. "That's just who we are as a team so far."
Butler led by just three points coming into the second half, and got the first four points in the frame to gain some space.
A Roosevelt Jones tip-in gave the Bulldogs their first double-digit lead of the game at 36-25 and Clarke followed that with a 3-pointer on the next possession.
Clarke later hit another 3-pointer for a 17-point lead with nine minutes to play and the lead hit as high as 25 down the stretch as the Bulldogs cruised to the victory.
"The difference (in the second half) was that we got the ball moving," Butler coach Brad Stevens said. "We were not patient in the first half."
Vanderbilt held a 13-8 lead early in the first half, but Butler was able to keep it close and took the lead for good on a Kameron Woods dunk and Clarke later hit a 3-pointer to help the team take a 25-22 lead into the break.
Butler hosts Penn on Wednesday ... Vanderbilt also plays on Wednesday as it will host William & Mary ... Butler has won all four games against Vanderbilt ... Butler shot 47.1 percent while holding Vanderbilt to just 33.3 percent.
- BUTLER: 68
Dec 29 9:54 PM
- BUTLER: 25
Dec 29 8:52 PM
- BUTLER: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 29 8:06 PM
- Butler basketball coach agrees to contract extension May 18
- Butler fills assistant coaching void with hire of Schrage May 12
- New Vanderbilt coach Bryce Drew announces his staff Apr 26
- Butler adds graduate transfer Avery Woodson to roster Apr 25
- Vanderbilt junior center Damian Jones entering NBA Draft Apr 14
- Bryce Drew wants to be 1st to take Vanderbilt to Final 4 Apr 6
- Vandy sophomore guard Wade Baldwin IV entering NBA draft Apr 5
- Vanderbilt using Fogler, not search firm to find new coach Mar 28
- Stallings gone, Vanderbilt to start search for new coach Mar 27
- Butler partners with bone marrow registry in Smith's honor Mar 18
- Shut out of NCAA games, Butler's mascot hard at work outside Mar 18
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18