Orange squeeze out tough win at ProvidenceJan 10, 2013 - 3:18 AM
Michael Carter-Williams filled the box score with 17 points, six assists, six rebounds and five steals, while Rakeem Christmas contributed to a dominant frontcourt with 15 points and eight boards in the Orange's (15-1, 3-0 Big East) fifth straight victory.
Syracuse shot just 3-of-21 from beyond the arc, but controlled the glass, 41-27, and had 21 more points in the paint, 46-25.
The Friars (8-7, 0-3) held a nine-point lead in the first half behind Cotton's 17 points in the opening 12-plus minutes. But Cotton was stifled from there, finishing with just five more points, and Providence was held to 38 percent shooting in the second half to drop its fifth consecutive game.
Providence's second leading scorer, Kadeem Batts, was limited to three points after averaging 16.2 coming in.
Syracuse controlled the tempo in the second half and led the final 10 minutes, On back-to-back possessions late in the game, Fair cleaned up his own miss with a layup and followed up a Carter-Williams miss with a thunderous dunk for a 58-53 lead with under five minutes to play.
Cotton made two free throws to get within a possession, but another offensive rebound at the other end, this time from Christmas, resulted in an easy deuce for Syracuse. James Southerland made it 62-55 the next time down with a mid- range jumper, and the Orange made enough free throws down the stretch to hold off Providence's late charge.
Cotton made his first six shots -- five from long range -- to jump-start the Friars. By comparison, Syracuse started out 0-for-9 from 3-point range and trailed 33-24 after a LaDontae Henton layup with five minutes remaining in the half.
Providence saw its lead dwindle to 33-30 at the break, and Syracuse pulled even at 38-38 following a pair of Christmas dunks less than five minutes after intermission.
The Orange have won the last six meetings ... The Friars' last win against Syracuse came on Jan. 28, 2009 ... Syracuse shot 17-of-18 from the foul line, compared to Providence's 15-of-23 effort ... Southerland totaled 13 points and seven rebounds off the bench.
- SYRACUSE: 72
Jan 9 9:02 PM
- SYRACUSE: 30
Jan 9 7:49 PM
- SYRACUSE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 9 7:05 PM
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Judge tosses suit by ex-Syracuse coach's wife against ESPN Mar 26