SDSU cruises to win over D-II programDec 19, 2012 - 7:00 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Xavier Thames posted 17 points to lead No. 18 San Diego State to a 76-49 win over Point Loma Nazarene.
Chase Tapley gave 15 points while James Rahon added nine for the Aztecs (9-1), who have won nine straight after opening their season with a loss to Syracuse.
"It was nice to see so many of our guys contribute," San Diego State coach Steve Fisher said. "We feel good that we're 9-1. We are going to move forward and get ourselves ready for Hawaii and play good basketball there."
Taylor Wetherell had 10 points to lead the Sea Lions (2-7), a Division II school that has lost their past five games.
Sorely outmatching their opponents, the Aztecs scored the first nine points of the game before the Sea Lions answered with a 10-2 run to cut the deficit to one.
The game stayed close for the next several minutes until San Diego State got another seven points to create some distance.
San Diego State held a lead the rest of the half, but it was only a 35-30 advantage going into the break.
A pair of 3-pointers from Tapley helped San Diego State to a 45-33 lead four minutes into the second half.
A 15-3 run late in the game by San Diego State closed out any chances Point Loma Nazarene had of pulling off the upset.
"I thought we controlled the tempo of the game for a long stretch," said Point Loma Nazarene coach Bill Carr. "But let me tell you something, that team over there in that other locker room is really good. You make a mistake and they're on a seven- or eight-point run."
San Diego State plays at San Francisco on Saturday ... San Diego State has won nine of the 14 games in the series with Point Loma Nazarene ... The Aztecs shot 54.9 percent in the game, while the Sea Lions made just 36.7 percent of their attempts.
- POINT LOMA: 49
SAN DIEGO STATE: 76
Dec 18 11:52 PM
- POINT LOMA: 30
SAN DIEGO STATE: 35
Dec 18 10:50 PM
- POINT LOMA: 0
SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 18 10:06 PM
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Blue Devils battle Aztecs in South Regional action Mar 22
- San Diego State holds off St. John's to advance Mar 21
- Red Storm tangle with Aztecs in South Region Mar 20