Boynton, Gators take SEC title with Senior Night win over VanderbiltMar 7, 2013 - 4:52 AM Florida cruise past Vanderbilt, 66-40, on Wednesday to win the SEC regular season title outright.
Boynton and fellow classmates -- Erik Murphy, who had 10 points and six rebounds, and Mike Rosario, who had five points -- helped Florida (24-5, 14-3) finish the season 15-0 at home, fittingly on Senior Night.
It's the program's third outright conference title under head coach Billy Donovan.
"One of the things that happens because of unbalanced schedules, conference expansion and the attention on March Madness and Selection Sunday, is a lot of people don't view conference championships as a great accomplishment," Donovan said. "It is an incredible accomplishment for our team considering the things that we have overcome."
Kedren Johnson was the only Vanderbilt player in double-figures with 15 points as the Commodores (13-16, 7-10) saw their three-game winning streak come to an abrupt end.
Johnson accounted for 13 straight points from the 5:32 mark of the first half to the 16:24 mark of the second, to bring the visitors within 29-19.
Florida only led, 40-29 with 11:39 remaining, though the home team quickly changed things. The Gators utilized a 16-3 surge, capped off by a Scottie Wilbekin trey which put the contest out of reach and made it 56-32 with just under seven minutes to play.
"We did a good job defending until about the eight-minute mark in the second half. Once we got frustrated from not hitting shots it translated to the defensive end," Johnson said.
Boynton's triple with less than three minutes remaining increased the edge to 66-38 and Florida never looked back.
The Gators jumped out to a 20-6 edge to start the contest and led at the break, 24-14, after a slow-paced first half.
Vanderbilt became the fourth Florida opponent this season to score 40 points or less ... Florida has won five of the last six in the series and is 14-3 all-time in Gainesville ... The victory marked Florida's fourth outright SEC title in school history (1988-1989, 2006-2007, 2010-2011) ... Dai-Jon Parker was Vanderbilt's next leading scorer with seven points and six boards ... Florida held a 26-12 advantage on points in the paint.
- VANDERBILT: 40
Mar 6 9:55 PM
- VANDERBILT: 14
Mar 6 8:50 PM
- VANDERBILT: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 6 8:05 PM
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- New Vanderbilt coach Bryce Drew announces his staff Apr 26
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Vanderbilt junior center Damian Jones entering NBA Draft Apr 14
- Bryce Drew wants to be 1st to take Vanderbilt to Final 4 Apr 6
- Vandy sophomore guard Wade Baldwin IV entering NBA draft Apr 5
- Vanderbilt using Fogler, not search firm to find new coach Mar 28
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Stallings gone, Vanderbilt to start search for new coach Mar 27
- After 17 seasons, Stallings' future at Vanderbilt in doubt Mar 16
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15