Memphis salvages Atlantis tourney with win over Northern IowaNov 24, 2012 - 11:41 PM Paradise Island, Bahamas (Sports Network) - Chris Crawford tallied 18 points and 12 rebounds in No. 19 Memphis' 52-47 victory over Northern Iowa in the seventh place game of the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament.
Joe Jackson had 15 points for the Tigers (3-2), who lost to VCU in the quarterfinals and Minnesota in the loser's bracket.
"If we were 0-3 nobody would want to be around me," Memphis head coach Josh Pastner said. "What's important is we won. We needed some momentum."
Deon Mitchell netted 18 points to lead Northern Iowa (3-3), which began the year with three straight wins before losing all three of its contests in the tournament.
"We moved the ball well and found guys in the right places. We rebounded better in the first two games. The hard part is we didn't have enough to show for it," Northern Iowa head coach Ben Jacobson said.
Chip Rank's layup gave Northern Iowa a 41-40 edge with 5:18 remaining, but the Tigers countered with eight straight points to seize control of the contest.
A Crawford layup preceded three-point plays by Jackson and Adonis Thomas for a 48-41 Tigers lead with 35 ticks to go.
Earlier, four straight Northern Iowa triples -- two by Rank -- capped a 14-0 run and helped the Panthers jump out to a quick 26-12 margin.
Northern Iowa, though, didn't score for the remaining 4:31 of the half, but still took a 26-22 lead into the break.
This was the first-ever meeting between the programs ... Memphis shot 36.7 percent (18-of-49) from the floor, while Northern Iowa finished 31.4 percent (16-of-51) from the field.
- NORTHERN IOWA: 47
Nov 24 3:01 PM
- NORTHERN IOWA: 26
Nov 24 1:53 PM
- NORTHERN IOWA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 24 1:12 PM
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- American Athletic Conference suspends Memphis' Shaq Goodwin Jan 5
- Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen gets 2-year extension Oct 8
- Northern Iowa gives Jacobson a new 10-year deal Apr 2
- Rozier, Louisville top UNI to reach 4th straight Sweet 16 Mar 23