Michigan gets by Penn State in Big Ten tourneyMar 15, 2013 - 12:01 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Trey Burke totaled a game-high 21 points as No. 6 Michigan pulled away in the second half to down Penn State, 83-66, in first- round action in the Big Ten Tournament from United Center.
Tim Hardaway and Nik Stauskas each added 15 points for the Wolverines (26-6), who advance to take on four seed Wisconsin on Friday. Jon Horford totaled 11 points, while Mitch McGary had 10 with a game-best 11 rebounds.
D.J. Newbill posted 20 points, six boards and three assists for the Nittany Lions (10-21), who received 15 points in defeat from Sasa Borovnjak.
"I love this team and I'm really proud of these players and the way they competed to finish the season," said Penn State coach Patrick Chambers.
A Ross Travis dunk pulled PSU to 46-45 as five minutes elapsed in the second half, but Hardaway's jumper on the next possession created a three-point spread for Michigan and kicked off a monster 25-7 run which left the conference stalwarts up 71-52.
Horford totaled seven points during the clip, while Stauskas totaled five in a row and ended the run on a three-point play coming with 7:10 remaining.
Michigan never led by fewer than 16 points for the remainder.
Penn State led 12-3 inside of five minutes played thanks to eight points from Borovnjak, but Michigan scored nine in a row to draw even at 14-14 on a McGary layup.
A Stauskas triple gave the Wolverines a 19-16 lead just after the midway point of the first half, then Burke capped the 15-6 surge on a trey to make it 29-22. Michigan went to the break ahead by only 35-33 thanks to a 13-4 surge by Penn State capped by a Newbill jumper.
"Really proud of the way they showed great composure to come back and then win the game going away," said Michigan coach John Beilein.
Michigan avenged an 84-78 loss to Penn State in late February at State College ... The Wolverines shot just 6-of-18 from beyond the arc in the victory en route to 46 percent from the floor, while the Nits connected on 48 percent of their shots in defeat.
- PENN STATE: 66
Mar 14 4:24 PM
- PENN STATE: 33
Mar 14 3:14 PM
- PENN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 14 2:35 PM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Michigan hires assistant hoops coaches Donlon and Washington May 4
- Michigan's Chatman receives release, plans to transfer May 3
- Michigan's Dawkins transferring to play for father at UCF Apr 6
- Michigan lifts transfer restrictions for Doyle, Albrecht Apr 1
- Doyle, Albrecht receive transfer releases from Michigan Mar 29
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17
- Michigan's last-second shots set up First Four vs Tulsa Mar 16
- Tough finish for injured Michigan seniors LeVert, Albrecht Mar 2
- Michigan's Caris LeVert out for season because of ailing leg Mar 1
- Michigan's LeVert returns from leg injury against Purdue Feb 13
- LeVert sitting out again for Michigan against Maryland Jan 12