SMU takes out UConnFeb 24, 2014 - 1:55 AM Storrs, CT (SportsNetwork.com) - Nic Moore and Nick Russell both scored 15 points to help visiting SMU knock off No. 21 Connecticut 64-55.
It's the second time this season the Mustangs defeated a ranked Huskies team. They posted a 74-65 win over then-No. 17 UConn on Jan. 4.
Markus Kennedy finished with 13 points and seven rebounds for the Mustangs (22-6, 11-4 AAC), who improved to 4-1 overall against ranked opponents.
UConn (21-6, 9-5) was led by Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright with 15 points apiece, but both struggled shooting the ball against an SMU defense that entered second in the nation in field-goal defense.
"You can't shoot 29 percent. It was a lot of missed shots. You just can't win like that," UConn head coach Kevin Ollie said.
Napier was 5-for-16 from the field, while Boatright made only 3-of-12 shots.
The Huskies, who never led Sunday, had a four-game winning streak snapped.
Russell hit a 3-pointer to put SMU up 48-38 midway through the second half. UConn trimmed its deficit to 54-49 on a Napier jumper with 4:36 remaining, but the Mustangs responded with a 7-0 run to grab their largest lead of the game.
Points were scarce in the early going for both teams. After the game's opening four-plus minutes featured no scoring, SMU broke through and recorded the first seven points. Two Russell free throws made it 12-5 with 10:14 left.
The Huskies tied the game at 25-25 inside the final minute, but Kennedy sank two foul shots to give SMU a halftime lead.
SMU has 11 conference wins for the first time since 2002-03, when it was a member of the WAC ... The Mustangs shot 52.2 percent in the second half ... UConn was held to 29.6 percent shooting for the game ... Niels Giffey scored 11 points for the Huskies.
- SOUTHERN METHODIST: 64
Feb 23 4:10 PM
- SOUTHERN METHODIST: 27
Feb 23 2:56 PM
- SOUTHERN METHODIST: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 23 2:08 PM
- UConn adds New York guard to 2016-17 recruiting class May 18
- 'Oi Oi Oi!': SMU signs 2nd Australian for men's basketball May 2
- UConn to spend $10 million for new roof at Gampel Pavilion Mar 30
- Ellis, Kansas take another swing at unfriendly 2nd round Mar 18
- Ollie and 0: UConn's coach is 7 for 7 in NCAA Tourney games Mar 18
- Purvis spurs UConn comeback for 74-67 win over Colorado Mar 17
- Can UConn start another title run with an afterthought seed? Mar 16
- Last dance at SMU for Nic Moore won't be in NCAA Tournament Mar 5
- UConn basketball APR not perfect, but well within guidelines Feb 18
- No longer perfect, NCAA-banned No. 13 SMU still AAC leader Jan 29
- SMU player caught up in sanctions plans to transfer Jan 15
- No. 10 SMU seeks 'crazy special' year without NCAA return Jan 12