Houston takes out No. 21 MemphisFeb 28, 2014 - 6:29 AM Houston, TX (SportsNetwork.com) - Danuel House scored 19 points off the bench to help Houston hold off 21st-ranked Memphis 77-68 at Hofheinz Pavilion.
TaShawn Thomas scored 16 points to go with seven rebounds and three blocks and Jherrod Stiggers added 14 points for the Cougars (14-14, 6-9 American), who have won two straight.
"We beat an outstanding basketball team that is very talented and deserving of their ranking. Josh (Pastnor) does a great job. I have a lot of respect for him and the job that he does. They beat us soundly in Memphis. We have a lot of respect for their program," said Houston coach James Dickey. "I was really proud of our guys tonight. Danuel (House) gave us a huge boost off the bench. So did Jherrod (Stiggers)."
Michael Dixon Jr. scored 19 points, Shaq Goodwin scored 16 points and pulled down 10 rebounds and Austin Nichols netted 12 for the Tigers (21-7, 10-5), who had won five of six entering the contest.
L.J. Rose gave Houston a 40-33 lead just over a minute into the second half, but a 17-6 burst from Memphis put the Tigers up 50-46 at the 12:47 mark. Houston countered with a 9-0 run to go up 55-50 moments later, but the Tigers scored six unanswered points to take a one-point lead.
Stiggers nailed a 3-pointer with 5:30 to go to make it 61-60, and the teams traded makes until House's 3-pointer stretched the Houston lead to 68-63 with 2:16 to go.
Dixon Jr. had Memphis within one possession with his layup at the 1:33 mark. Memphis then fouled Rose, who split a pair of free throws. Dixon Jr. missed a layup at the other end and the ball was knocked out of bounds. It was unclear who the ball had touched last in the ensuing video review and Houston took over after having the possession arrow.
House knocked down a pair of free throws and the Tigers never got closer than four the rest of the way.
"What I tried to focus on was just helping the team get ahead. I appreciate the open shots that my teammates set up for me to hit. All I can do to help them get the assist is knock them out," House said.
Houston scored the final six points of the first half to take a 36-33 lead into the break.
Houston scored 21 points off 14 Memphis turnovers ... House was 5-for-8 from the field an 3-for-5 from 3-point range ... Memphis outscored the Cougars 44-22 in the paint.
- MEMPHIS: 68
Feb 27 11:16 PM
- MEMPHIS: 33
Feb 27 9:53 PM
- MEMPHIS: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 27 9:12 PM
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- American Athletic Conference suspends Memphis' Shaq Goodwin Jan 5
- Mississippi State suspends F Demetrius Houston indefinitely Nov 17
- Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen gets 2-year extension Oct 8
- Moore leads No. 21 SMU over Memphis Feb 27
- SMU and Memphis collide in AAC action Feb 26
- SMU gets past Houston Feb 12
- Mustangs and Cougars clash in AAC action Feb 12
- No. 3 Gonzaga routs Memphis Feb 1