Duke tops FSU, Coach K reaches milestoneJan 25, 2014 - 9:51 PM Durham, NC (SportsNetwork.com) - Rodney Hood had 18 points and nine rebounds and No. 18 Duke easily beat Florida State 78-56 on Saturday as Mike Krzyzewski reached another coaching milestone.
Krzyzewski joined Syracuse's Jim Boeheim as the only coaches in NCAA history with 900 wins at one school.
"It's a lot of wins," Krzyzewski said. "I thank Duke for keeping me. I've been blessed with being at one of the greatest schools in the world. Great schools don't necessarily always have great people in command. This school has. ...
"We've got a good thing going here, and I've been blessed to be here for over three decades to take advantage of it."
Jabari Parker had 14 points and 14 rebounds for the Blue Devils (16-4, 5-2 ACC) and Rasheed Sulaimon and Andre Dawkins scored 11 apiece.
Duke has won four in a row overall since starting 1-2 in conference play and ran its home winning streak to 28 games, the best in the country.
Okaro White scored 14 points to lead Florida State (14-5, 4-3), which has lost two of its last three.
Krzyzewski is 900-242 in 34 seasons at Duke and is the winningest Division I men's coach of all time with a career record of 973-301.
The Blue Devils have won three straight against the Seminoles after losing two in a row.
Twenty-seven of their 47 rebounds came on the offensive glass, leading to 29 points. That helped Duke overcome 30.5 percent shooting from the field -- including 22.2 percent in the second half.
"Our guys were just so hungry. We had 27 offensive rebounds. I can't remember that ever happening," said Krzyzewski. "That also means we were not very good on offense. When the teacher says, 'You did that well, but you know you can improve a lot on something,' I think a lot ... has to be said of the defense of Florida State."
The Seminoles shot 50 percent but were outrebounded by 23.
The Blue Devils pushed their lead to 20 points with an 11-0 run near the end of the first half.
They scored the last seven points in under a minute on Quinn Cook's 3 from the high right side, Parker's driving dunk and Marshall Plumlee's layup to make it 41-21.
"We never seemed to get any offensive rhythm," said Florida State coach Leonard Hamilton. "We dug a hole for ourselves and had a difficult time getting out of it."
Plumlee had four points and three offensive rebounds in six minutes off the bench in the first half and Duke took a 43-25 lead into halftime, going up by as many as 22 before the end of the game.
Plumlee ended with seven points and seven offensive boards in 12 minutes ... Devon Bookert had 12 points for FSU and Montay Brandon scored 11 ... Krzyzewski was 73-59 as Army's coach from 1975-80 ... Duke plays at Pittsburgh on Monday ... Florida State is at North Carolina State on Wednesday.
- FLORIDA STATE: 56
Jan 25 2:15 PM
- FLORIDA STATE: 25
Jan 25 12:56 PM
- FLORIDA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 25 12:08 PM
- Krzyzewski has hernia surgery, expects to be healthy for Rio May 9
- Florida State guard Rathan-Mayes returning for junior season May 2
- Duke's Grayson Allen has hernia surgery Apr 22
- Duke's Jefferson receives medical hardship waiver Apr 22
- Junior college guard Angola-Rodas to attend Florida State Apr 20
- Mutombo's nephew signs to play basketball at Florida State Apr 13
- Duke freshman guard Derryck Thornton to transfer Apr 10
- Grayson Allen to return to Duke for junior season Apr 6
- Florida State's Rathan-Mayes to enter NBA draft Apr 5
- Duke's Brandon Ingram declares for NBA Draft after 1 season Apr 4
- Duke: Coach K recovering from knee replacement surgery Apr 3
- Florida State's Bacon withdraws from NBA draft consideration Mar 28