Duke rolls over Wake Forest by 20Feb 5, 2014 - 5:52 AM Durham, NC (SportsNetwork.com) - Jabari Parker scored 21 points and pulled down eight rebounds as 11th-ranked Duke cruised past Wake Forest, 83-63, at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
Rasheed Sulaimon added 19 points and Andre Dawkins finished with 17 for the Blue Devils (18-5, 7-3 ACC), who bounced back from a heartbreaking overtime loss to Syracuse on Saturday.
"I just kept working hard in practice and Coach [Mike Krzyzewski] gave me a shot tonight. They say everything happens for a reason, so I guess it is [a good experience]," Sulaimon said. " I just try to continue to work hard. They say good things come to those who work hard, so I guess that's what's happening now."
Devin Thomas scored 14 points and Arnaud-William Adala Moto added 10 points and 10 rebounds for the Demon Deacons (14-8, 4-6), losers in three straight.
"They do a great job defending the ball and going out there and denying. You just have to stay poised when you're playing against them, you can't let them speed you up or anything like that," said Wake Forest guard Madison Jones.
Wake Forest led for a large portion of the first half. Miles Overton's jumper at the 15:16 mark opened up a a 10-7 sequence that put the Demon Deacons ahead with 13:10 remaining. Overton added a pair of three pointers over that stretch.
Duke briefly took the lead after a pair of Parker free throws with 8:02 left, but Travis McKie's dunk and a Madison Jones free throw made it 28-26 with just under seven left in the opening session.
It was all Duke from there, however, as the Blue Devils outscored Wake Forest 20-5 the rest of the way to take a commanding 46-33 advantage into the break.
Duke continued to pour it on in the opening minutes of the second half, outscoring the Deacons 10-5 to take a 56-38 lead. The Blue Devils' lead swelled to 24 points, 68-44, after a pair of Amile Jefferson free throws and their lead never dipped below 17 the rest of the way.
Duke shot 50.9 percent (27-for-53) from the field and 46.2 percent (12-for-26) from 3-point range ... Duke scored 26 points off 19 Wake Forest turnovers ... Duke owns a commanding 163-77 lead in the all-time series ... The Blue Devils will visit Boston College on Saturday ... Overton finished with 12 points for Wake Forest ... The Demon Deacons will visit NC State on Feb. 11.
- WAKE FOREST: 63
Feb 4 11:20 PM
- WAKE FOREST: 33
Feb 4 10:05 PM
- WAKE FOREST: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 4 9:10 PM
- Krzyzewski has hernia surgery, expects to be healthy for Rio May 9
- Wake Forest adds 2nd grad transfer, Matt Williams from UCF Apr 27
- Duke's Grayson Allen has hernia surgery Apr 22
- Duke's Jefferson receives medical hardship waiver Apr 22
- Wake adds grad transfer Austin Arians from Milwaukee Apr 20
- Duke freshman guard Derryck Thornton to transfer Apr 10
- Grayson Allen to return to Duke for junior season Apr 6
- Duke's Brandon Ingram declares for NBA Draft after 1 season Apr 4
- Duke: Coach K recovering from knee replacement surgery Apr 3
- Duke ends with longer-than-expected NCAA run, short bench Mar 25
- Duke's title defense ends with 82-68 loss to Oregon Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23