No. 2 Syracuse keeps UNC winless in ACCJan 11, 2014 - 11:30 PM Syracuse, NY (SportsNetwork.com) - North Carolina got its first taste of Jim Boeheim's athletic and lengthy 2-3 zone in ACC play.
A promising start soon turned extremely stressful for the erratic Tar Heels.
C.J. Fair had 20 points and eight rebounds as No. 2 Syracuse routed North Carolina, 57-45, on Saturday afternoon.
Jerami Grant added 12 points and 12 boards for the Orange (16-0, 3-0 ACC), who snatched 17 offensive rebounds.
James Michael McAdoo had 15 points and nine rebounds for North Carolina (10-6, 0-3), which has dropped three straight.
"They had so much more intensity than we did," Tar Heels head coach Roy Williams said.
UNC has quality wins over highly-ranked Michigan State, Kentucky and Louisville, but has dropped five tilts to unranked opponents.
McAdoo netted six quick points as UNC raced out to an 8-2 lead, but the vaunted Orange zone took control of the contest during the middle to late stages of the opening half.
A Fair turnover led to a McAdoo dunk in transition to give UNC a 15-11 edge, but Syracuse answered with a 21-3 run as the Tar Heels recorded just one field goal over an 11-plus minute stretch.
"We started pretty slow defensively. We let McAdoo get in the lane. Our centers made a nice adjustment, and our defense pretty much took over at that point," Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim said.
Grant netted eight points during the surge, including a jumper to cap it and stake the Orange to a 32-18 cushion late in the half.
Syracuse took a 34-22 spread into the break.
UNC was 0-for-8 from beyond the arc over the first 20 minutes.
Fair's three-point play finished off an 8-0 spurt and opened up a 42-24 margin early in the second half.
The hosts cruised to the easy win from there.
Syracuse shot just 35 percent (21-of-60) from the floor ... The Tar Heels finished 39.2 percent (20-of-51) from the field and 16.7 percent (2-of-12) from beyond the arc.
- NORTH CAROLINA: 45
Jan 11 1:44 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 22
Jan 11 12:48 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 11 12:03 PM
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Justin Jackson withdraws from draft, will return to UNC May 16
- UNC's Meeks back for senior year after NBA draft flirtation May 4
- UNC: Jackson, Meeks declare for NBA but not hiring agent Apr 22
- Attorney: NCAA also deserves blame in UNC fraud scandal Apr 19
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- UNC's Williams aims to coach Tar Heels another 5-9 years Apr 12
- UNC reserve Kenny Williams III recovering from knee surgery Apr 7
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Tar Heels begin moving forward after falling short of title Apr 5
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- UNC's Berry on crutches with foot injury after Final Four Apr 5